PDA

View Full Version : Sealing

10-01-2002, 11:34 AM
We stored our trailer outdoors last winter without any cover.  When it was opened in the spring it was FULL of dust and dirt.  It looked like this had blown in from the undersurface.  All possible openings are caulked tightly.  We think the dirt blew in around the seals which are sealed when the trailer is in the up position, but are not at all tight in the closed position.  We don't think a cover would be too helpful, or don't really know how to make it cover the undersurface.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Does anyone use something to block off the openings on the undersurface, primarily of the bed positions?

oilspot
10-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Check the bottom lip of the trailer, just beneath where the beds are.  There should be a black rubber strip, which resembles the big garag door weather strip.  It could be missing on your trailer... at least I think most trailers have them.

I have a 1996/7 trailer and it has the strips on the front and rear of the trailer.  They seal across the bottom against the upper halves.  

Dust is a tough demon to stop.  However I would bet more gets in through things like the windows or roof vents than the seal between your upper and lower halves.  Remember I has to pass the seal and then go up over the inside wall.

Just my $0.02.  

I guess you could play detective next time it happens and look for patterns in the dust and see where it seems to be heaviest...

10-02-2002, 05:31 AM
Thank-you and we will check to see if that seal is present.  The bedroom walls and curtains were filthy, but most of all the rear bedroom.  The central portion of the trailer was spared.

arknoah
10-07-2002, 12:30 AM
Oilspot,

Are you referring to the rubber strip that eventually sits on the rear bumper when the unit is closed?  If so, it would probably be important to make sure she has that just to ensure that the unit is properly closed and doesn't wobble or shift while in motion.