PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Towing TMs!? Help/Advice--Please!!

10-29-2002, 05:25 AM
We have two volvos both rated to 3500 pull weight and 330 tongue weight.  Unfortunately these are limited to class 2 hitches notwithstanding the 3500 pull weight (ugghhh!).  We live in relatively flat part of USA and wondering if anyone else has had experience with these cars pulling TMs.  YOUR ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Paul_Heuvelhorst
10-29-2002, 11:04 AM
I would discourage your idea of pulling a TM with a vehicle rated to tow 3500# & 330# tongue weight. Why? The smallest TM 2619 is 2500#, 330# tongue weight, WITHOUT ANY ACCESSORIES or the stuff you'll load into it. You must consider, also, what you load into the car including passengers as part of the overall equation in determining what your vehicle will safely tow.

To tow safely you should include a 15-20% margin over what your actual "loaded or wet" weight is and the total towing & load capacity of the tow vehicle.  In other words, if the tow vehicle is capable to tow 7,000#, you should consider not towing more than 5600-5950#.

You can safely tow most tent popups with the Volvo, but if you are interested in a TM, I suggest you move up to a more substantial tow vehicle, equipped with the proper tow equipment that is factory installed.

arknoah
10-30-2002, 12:05 AM
I agree with Paul H.   While the 2619 has a low empty weight, just putting in your passengers is bound to bound to take up over half of the extra weight allowance available to you.   It wouldn't take anything extra to put your tow vehicle in trouble.  Also, I firmly believe in using a weight distributing hitch whenever you tow something even as light as a TM.  

10-30-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys--I am so depressed about this.   I am going to check out the volvo club and see if anyone has added additional equipment to their volvos to enhance the safety factor.  But I do hear you both loud and clear.  If anyone else has any additional insight it is appreciated.  TMFAN

10-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Hey,  :D
I don't know if this would be much help or not but I believe the new Volvo SUV is rated at 5000# Hey may be a chance for a new Tow Vehicle ;D

Aaron