PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Maine, Bar Harbor/Acadia

wesslvm
01-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Planning a possible trip to Maine in August. Any recommended campgrounds around Bar Harbor / Acadia?

Thanks!

Vince

dlajoie
01-28-2005, 05:45 PM
I recommend Smuggler's Den Campground in Southwest Harbor. It has all the amenities, is on the "quiet side" of the island, close to a grocery store, great restaurants, hiking, etc. and its a short drive to Acadia. Go to www.campmaine.com (http://www.campmaine.com) to get the latest version of the Maine Camping Guide for other choices. Reserve early! August is peak season for Acadia.:)

bill s
01-29-2005, 07:20 AM
barharbor campground is our rec...we have been going there for ~ 8yrs.
now...no reservations required...great facilities( pets,laundry,store,fire wood, etc..)
more importantly,there are about 20 or more sites with spectacular views...
the rest of the sites are wooded etc.
in addition, the site is the closest to barharbor and the bus service to town is great ( you can haul your bikes on the bus )...
try it ,i'm sure you'll like it
bill sanda

wesslvm
03-05-2005, 08:49 AM
barharbor campground is our rec...we have been going there for ~ 8yrs.
now...no reservations required...great facilities( pets,laundry,store,fire wood, etc..)
more importantly,there are about 20 or more sites with spectacular views...
the rest of the sites are wooded etc.
in addition, the site is the closest to barharbor and the bus service to town is great ( you can haul your bikes on the bus )...
try it ,i'm sure you'll like it
bill sanda
Looks like a wonderful place, however my wife and I are concerned about their reservation policies (no advanced reservations). How can anyone drive from afar without assurance of a place to camp?

Any other thoughts or reassurances? :)

Vince

bill s
03-08-2005, 10:48 AM
we'v always camped in early august ( my birthday )...never had a problem....
however we always arrived on sunday(early)...you might have to move and/or change sites to get your view...

rixalex
03-18-2005, 06:56 AM
We live about 40 miles from Bar Harbor and often drive down for the day. Some tips: 1) Stay at a campground with easy access to the bus and then use it. The Island Hopper busses are free, they go just about anywhere you want to go on the island, and they help you avoid the nightmare of finding a parking spot in town. If you do decide to drive into Bar Harbor, there is a parking lot that is used by the locals and USUALLY has empty spaces. To find this lot, drive town Main Street until, on your right, you are directly across from the city park clock tower. On your left you will see an ice cream shop on the corner of a VERY narrow street. Go down that narrow street to the end and you’ll find the lot, along with a great view of Frenchman’s bay; 2) If you crave lobster, go to the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. It’s out of town on the road to Ellsworth and you will have to drive (no bus service). Go early or between 2PM and 4PM to avoid the crowds. Best lobster in the area; 3) Bring your National Park Pass or buy one in Bar Harbor. Most of the interesting places to see on the Island are within Acadia National Park, and you’ll need a pass to get there. The Island Hopper bus serves most park locations, but they won’t take you to locations within the park without a pass. Don’t miss your opportunity to see New England’s only national park—it’s great; 4) If you can schedule your visit for the 4th of July, do it. The town puts on a great fireworks display on the town dock. Visit in October and the leaves will be at their peak--spectacular; 5) If you’re into celebrity watching, keep an eye out. Lots of them maintain summer homes in the area; 6) Shop around for a campground. Some of these places charge $80 a night for a site with an ocean view and full hookups. You can do a lot better than that if you shop around. If you don’t need a water view, don’t mind staying a ways out of town and you don’t need full hookups, you can get by on $10 a day at some campgrounds. There are a lot of places that fall in between. Google “Bar Harbor camp” and you’ll find lots of sites that will help you in your search; 7) While you’re here, visit other parts of Maine. There are interesting places to see throughout the state.
Hope you find this useful. Enjoy your trip to Maine!
Rick