PDA

View Full Version : Winter usage

WNYChange
10-14-2002, 11:39 AM
I've read some of the posts about using the TM in the fall/winter timeframe and have some questions. We want to use our TM around Thanksgiving time in New England. Does anyone have some advice about using pipe insulation or heating cables on water and drain pipes? I will use anti-freeze in the tanks that I can, but is this sufficient? Do I need to worry about pipes bursting while I drive home after I've emptied the tanks? Any advice from those of you who have done this in the past will be appreciated.

10-14-2002, 12:03 PM
My wife and I camped in late fall in Vermont in 2001.  Outside temperatures were close to freezing.  Prior to camping, we had our dealer install an "electric blanket" around the gray water tank.  He said this would allow camping in the early teens and it did the job.  We had no issues with lines freezing.  One issue we did have was once we were home.  It was still cold where we live and I was unable to drain the hot water tank for a couple of days.  I realized that I should have done that before we had closed down the camper.  No harm - no foul.  It ended up being okay but  I'll do it differently next time.

Bill
10-14-2002, 12:19 PM
In January 2002, we drove from Maine to Arizona via Memphis, taking six days. During those 6 days, the temp never got above freezing until we started that last downgrade into Phoenix.  Everything froze solid except the toilet - fresh water tank, gray water tank, water heater, drains, lines. It was inconvenient, but NOTHING BROKE. Amazing to me. Again, hats off to the TM designers.

Bill

WNYChange
10-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the reply's. What is an electric blanket? Could you give me some more info on it? Is it permanently attached? Did it cost much (if you don't mind saying)? Thanks

10-16-2002, 01:57 PM
WNY,
Try this link http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=15706&src=SRCH&tcode=37 We have used these in the past on a variety of applications and they work very well. BTW we are still camping year round in a pop-up or tent depending on the mood and the campground. I would also reccomend using a heat tape and/or insulation on the incoming water line, if you aren't using the on board tank. I have had some fun and games with that one in the past.

Aaron

Chris_Bauer
10-21-2002, 02:44 AM
We used our TM in temps between 23 and 28 last winter.  We were in snow, sleet, hail and high winds. The TM performed like a champ. We used an electric heater and it kept the TM nice and cozy.  The gas furnace is a little too noisy for us.  Winters in the TM are a blast.  Last Christmas we had lights strung and a small artificial tree inside.  (the blue chair went out the door after the first trip so there is plenty of room inside) ;D

KB7OUR
10-21-2002, 05:53 AM
Chris,

Did you do any special winterizing for the low temps, such as a heater for the holding tank or anything else? We plan on taking several nearby winter excursions here in AZ where temps could be around freezing, but likely not much cooler. Fishing season begins late April up in the White Mountains where temps can be in the teens at first ice break. Since the terlit and internal holding tank is inside, I would think the only thing to worry about freezing up would be the grey water tank. This is of ourse considering you keep the inside of the TM above freezing. Am I missing anything else?

Wade

Chris_Bauer
10-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Wade,

I'm no expert but we had absolutely no problems in AZ (and it was coollldddd, at least for a Mexican ;D). Remember that most of the time it warms up in the low 30s during the daytime, plus all the inside heat that is generated, plus the use of running water.

Has anybody heard of any disaster stories of bursting lines or freezing tanks with the exception of the northern part of the U.S.? I would really like to know if covering the tanks is an issue in the southwest or lower 48 states.

chris

10-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Lasy year while camping and elk hunting in the Gila Mountains in SW New Mexico (close to Arizona) my gray water drain pipe froze and split between the drain valve and the tank. Temperatures got close to zero. The repair was not difficult but now I put a bucket under the drain and leave the gray water valve open. After capturing the water I dispose of it. I will also charge the toilet with RV antifreeze and water to prevent any problem there.

Happytrails
10-22-2002, 10:48 AM
When I got mine, most of the grey line was completely gone on mine as well as a nice sized chunk taken outta the tank where the line ran into it. I used two things of PC-7 epoxy and fixed it right up in about 15 mins, it worked REALLY well, and have had NO problems  since. I believe there was a clearance issue with it as there's a large dent in the metal box where the sewer hose is stored. I guess a lift kit is in order for mine as well. I have a steep driveway also and it *barely* clears backing it in.

Happytrails...........

bbeckham
10-25-2002, 06:20 AM
Chris,

Did you do any special winterizing for the low temps, such as a heater for the holding tank or anything else? We plan on taking several nearby winter excursions here in AZ where temps could be around freezing, but likely not much cooler. Fishing season begins late April up in the White Mountains where temps can be in the teens at first ice break. Since the terlit and internal holding tank is inside, I would think the only thing to worry about freezing up would be the grey water tank. This is of ourse considering you keep the inside of the TM above freezing. Am I missing anything else?

Wade

Wade,

We just got back from a trip to the Adirondocks in upper NY where night time temps got as low as 20 degrees. Temps were above freezing during the day. To be safe, we disconnected the water hose and used the tank for fresh water. Each evening we dumped the gray water. As we were away from RV stores the only antifreeze we could get was for autos. We put a small amount of  auto antifreeze down the sinks so there would be some in the exposed grey water line. We kept enough auto antifreeze in the toilet to keep it from freezing and the heat was kept at 55 degrees inside the trailer. All went well. Not sure there isn't a better way to handle cold temps. Since the auto antifreeze is poisonous, one had to be very careful to keep it away from drinking water and dump appropriately. Any tips from other TM owners on camping in freezing temps would be appreciated. We had a ball. Leaves were beautiful and there weren't many people around.

Betty Ann

KdHammonds
10-25-2002, 11:39 AM
We plan on making our first trip (and only for this year) in our 3023 the weekend of Nov. 8th.  We will be in central Ohio, Holmes County, and hope the weather cooperates.  I appreciate the info on dealin g with the freezing temps.  Hopefully we won't have to worry about it and the temps stay just above freezing.

WNYChange
11-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all who replied to my original post. We just returned from Mass. where we spent the weekend. Temp's were mostly in the 30's and 40's. One night saw the temps fall to the upper 20's and another night saw 30+ mile an hour winds and a wind chill factor in the teens. (A chilly lesson at 3 am was learned while I rolled in the awning during a wind storm). The TM  was very comfortable. We just used a small electric space heater since we were hooked up to power. It kept the trailer amazingly warm for a small device. We had no problems with the water freezing either.
I would not hesitate to do it again.
Thanks to all.