PDA

View Full Version : Hot Threads

mjlaupp
08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Chris,
Could you change the level at which the thread symbol changes color to 11 postings. Up through 10 postings would be slate color and 11 or more would be red/orange. I think it would clean up the board and I don't think that a thread with 5 postings is a hot topic.
Thanx
MJL;)

mjlaupp
08-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanx Chris.

It's much easier to find new postings now.

MJL :cool:

Chris
08-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Good!
Ct..

Bill
08-25-2004, 06:59 AM
I'm confused. What does Hot Threads (more than 10 posts) have to do with "Finding New Posts"? A hot thread is hot, and will be marked with orange, whether it has any new posts or not.

The confusion comes from the fact that on the Index page, the change in color from slate to orange is used to indicate the presence of New Posts. But on the next page, the Threads list, the same change in color is used to indicate Hot Threads vs Normal Threads. And just to confuse things a bit more, the New Posts indicator is some intermediate color - a lighter orange, I think.

Personally, this is driving me crazy.

I don't care whether a thread is Hot or not. Regardless of whether 2 people have posted or 50 people have posted, I am interested in each thread, and I read each one. My choice would be to do away with the Hot Threads indicator entirely.

But like Mike, I do care whether there are New Posts in any thread, and like Mike, I want to be able to spot them quickly. A clear unambiguous indicator would make me, at least, a lot happier.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill

Chris
08-26-2004, 10:50 PM
What I do is click the new posts button on the top menu. Then I don't have to worry about the icons.
Ct..

G-V_Driver
08-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Chris,

On the old board I just scrolled to the bottom for a button that let me scroll all the new posts. Does this board have a similar function?

Thanks,

Wayne

Denny_A
08-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Chris,

On the old board I just scrolled to the bottom for a button that let me scroll all the new posts. Does this board have a similar function?
Thanks,
Wayne

Yes. It's called "New Posts". At the top of the page, in the blue bar (at least it's blue for me), twixt Calendar and Search. Click on the text - it will pull up a list of new posts w/the newest at the top of the page.

Denny_A

G-V_Driver
08-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Denny,

Does your new posts button work same as the old board? Mine doesn't, and I can't figure out how to tell it that I want to see them all, rather than just a few. On the old board, I could read all the new posts until I ran into the ones I had previously read (or that I could remember that I'd read, which is an entirely different topic).

Wayne

Denny_A
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Wayne,

As far as I can tell "New Posts" retrieves all posts I have not previously read. I've had anywhere from "no content", to only one post to more than 10. I do not know what the cut-off point is. That's a question best taken up with Chris.

Denny_A

rtcassel
08-31-2004, 01:31 PM
My experience seems to be that New Posts retrieves all posts since I last logged into the site. If I log in and do not read all of the New Posts, the unread ones do not appear in the New Posts list the next time I log in.

G-V_Driver
08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Maybe that's the secret. This board is probably smarter than the old board, which would just let you read the same "new" posts as many times as you wanted to, whether they were really new or not. If so, maybe "new/unread" or just "unread" would be a better heading for that column. Probably doesn't matter as long as we (I) understand the ground rules.