PDA

View Full Version : Mobile app for this forum?

miker259
07-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I'm curious if there is an easy way to access this forum on my mobile phone. I ran a search and it sounds like there was a poll back in 2011 asking about this, and at the time there wasn't much interest. Times have changed quite a bit and I imagine there is more interest now.

Thanks,

Mike

HoMiPa
07-06-2017, 07:03 AM
It would be pretty handy - only because I realized during my last camping trip, that I can't run a search on the forum from my phone - the text box for the search pops up, when I 'click' on it to get a cursor in there, my keyboard pops up, but the search box goes away. It may just be my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - so it's plenty big enough), but when I'm camping is probably the one time I would have a real need to search the forum from my phone instead of a computer.

GolfingDebby
07-06-2017, 10:51 AM
I have a Samsung phone and found you need to do an "Advanced Search" (at the bottom of the "Search Forums" box) in order to use the Search option.

HoMiPa
07-06-2017, 12:09 PM
I have a Samsung phone and found you need to do an "Advanced Search" (at the bottom of the "Search Forums" box) in order to use the Search option.

Ahhh.... I'll have to try that! Thanks!

benjburton
08-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Does this forum not support the Tapatalk app?

BrucePerens
08-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Apps to access web sites are old fashioned and unnecessary. With modern HTML5, web sites should render well on any size device and should do so as fast as an app could render them, once you're past viewing the site for the first time. It's also possible for a web site to store files on your device to speed things up, and to make an app icon on your phone for what is really just plain HTML5.

Unfortunately, the software behind this forum is old, and hasn't kept up with how the rest of the web has developed. And there is no excuse for search not working, that's just bad programming.

HoMiPa
08-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Unfortunately, the software behind this forum is old, and hasn't kept up with how the rest of the web has developed. And there is no excuse for search not working, that's just bad programming.

As GolfingDebby pointed out, search does work, you just have to go to the "Advanced Search" function, for it to function on a mobile device. Beyond that, I'm happy using the web browser on my phone for the forum. I've found that often, with a mobile app for a site, I am totally lost because they change the look and location of so many things from the web version.

Chris
08-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
I can set TapaTalk up on the forum if you would like. That is what I do on the other forum as well. I've been waiting for the demand to surface, which it has. I will get that done this week.
Thanks
Chris

Apps to access web sites are old fashioned and unnecessary. With modern HTML5, web sites should render well on any size device and should do so as fast as an app could render them, once you're past viewing the site for the first time. It's also possible for a web site to store files on your device to speed things up, and to make an app icon on your phone for what is really just plain HTML5.

miker259
08-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Sounds great! Much appreciated.

Shane826
08-29-2017, 03:31 PM
What's a TapaTalk?

benjburton
09-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Hi all,
I can set TapaTalk up on the forum if you would like. That is what I do on the other forum as well. I've been waiting for the demand to surface, which it has. I will get that done this week.
Thanks
Chris

Was this setup? I could not find it when searching in the app.
Thanks.

bheisser
09-04-2017, 07:40 AM
What's a TapaTalk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapatalk

Tapatalk is an application to allow access to Internet forums on mobile devices,[1] developed by Tapatalk, Inc.

Tapatalk is primarily designed to provide improved forum access for mobile platforms over access provided by the forum software itself. The application was originally designed for Android[citation needed] but now also supports iOS and Windows Phone. Tapatalk allows the user to have a unified interface to access multiple forums at the same time.

Forum software systems supported by Tapatalk are: phpBB3, vBulletin, xenForo, IPBoard, Simple Machines Forum, MyBB, bbPress, Kunena, Vanilla, ASP Playground, and Drupal. In addition, 'Conversr' (the integrated forum of Composr CMS) allows for Tapatalk support[2] via the installation of an official addon

Chris
09-24-2017, 08:07 PM
It is set up now. Please try it and let me know if there are any issues.
Thanks

Chris

benjburton
10-21-2017, 07:13 PM
It is set up now. Please try it and let me know if there are any issues.
Thanks

ChrisWorking good for me. Glad to have it setup. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

B_and_D
10-22-2017, 08:24 PM
I don't mean to be dense, but how do use the app to access the board? Just download it and type in the website address at some point?