PDA

View Full Version : 2720SL or 3023

Factor
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
We are thinking of purchasing a trailmanor and torn between two. Other than the 50 lbs. extra weight of the 3023 and the extra two sleeping from 4 to 6, what are the advantages/disadvantages between the 2720SL and the 3023? I know about the towing aspect with the extra 50 lbs.

John

camperboy
03-23-2004, 11:23 AM
I agree. If your buget and TV allow for it get the 3023. Room for a guest, napping, or storing a duffle bag, etc. If we take the televsion with us it sits up there also. We use plastic underbed bins for our cloths. They travel on the floor in front of the couch and live on the front bed while camped. Very convient. We have the two chairs as opposed to couches on both sides like the new models being offered now.

Camperboy

jniles
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
The 2720SL will have horizontally mounted propane bottles and the 3023 will have the vertical mounts which are little a bit easier to service. The larger wheels and increased capacity of the 3023 is a great advantage but you have to make trade offs that fit your needs not mine. There is a lip (small step down, or is it up) in front of the couch (the floor of the slide) which makes chairs facing the sofa a few inches lower, not a problem unless you spend a lot of time using both sides of the table or negotiating with North Koreans. Our kids and grand kids are always there playing board games in the late evenings. The front bed becomes a play ground for the littles guys and everyone tolerates it. We do not use the TV often and never in the back bedroom therefore the front bed can be handy for lounging around watching a movie, along with the two sofas. These are most of the reasons we chose the 3023 style floorplan (with two sofas) over the SL type but that is our life style. The SL units are great and really beautiful. The new 3023 I saw in dealer stock 2 weeks ago had the 2 sofas and that may be standard now, I don't know for sure. The factory web site is getting out of date their floorplan shows 2 chairs and the pic shows two sofas. Be sure you know for sure what you are getting if you have to order something.

Windbreaker
03-23-2004, 01:31 PM
I have to echo everyone else the substantial more load capacity is a biggie! I think we all have felt the pinch of just how much we can safely carry.

aldebnj
03-23-2004, 02:10 PM
We started off looking at the 2720 but quickly opted for the 3023 when we saw it. We found that the 3023 has quite a bit more storage space and elbow room and we are very glad we spent a little more and got the larger trailer.

Al

shunter917
03-23-2004, 05:53 PM
We settled with a 3023, too. The main reason was the 2 couches with the table in the middle. We thought it would be easier to sit facing each other that way - and I think we were right. We have enough room that we have placed a chair at the end of the table to accomodate an extra person. We have had 6 people at the table - 3 on one side, 2 on the other and the 6th one at the end. Easier to see everyone that way.

RockyMtnRay
03-23-2004, 08:43 PM
The 2720SL is optimized as a travel trailer for 1 or 2 people and provides a nice front "living room" environment. It also fits (with the swing away tongue) in most suburban home garages; the 3023 doesn't. I live in a region with intense solar UV levels and frequent nasty hail storms so being able to keep my trailer safe and sound (and readily available) in half of my garage was just about the primary factor when I was shopping 2 years ago. And I'm a private person sans kids and grandkids so lots of sleeping/socializing space was not needed.

To me it thus boils down to how big a crowd you usually will have with you when using your trailer and is it possible/important to stow the trailer in your garage. Small crowd and garage storage point to the 2720SL; lottsa people and can't use or don't need garage storage point to the 3023.

jniles
03-24-2004, 01:23 PM
The great thing is you can't really make a terrible mistake unless you choose not to choose. Both units, as all TMs, are the exact same fine quality and you will love either one.

2manypets
03-24-2004, 04:44 PM
You may even want to consider a 3124KB if you like the layout of the 3023. After sitting in a 3023 at the dealership we decided that we really liked the layout. When we did the factory tour we got to look over a finished 3124KB and decided on it because of the huge storage space under the king bed in back. Also the king bed allows you to lay with your feet pointed toward the hallway if you so choose (less climbing over each other to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night). We've only done 2 weekend trips so far, but we love it. There is plenty of storage space, and we have room for the times we have relatives coming on trips with us. We also like the "his & her" couches when it is just the 2 of us.

I know you will enjoy whatever you get.

Loretta

live2shopnc
03-24-2004, 07:33 PM
If the payload of the 2720 is a problem do as I have done--order it with the 5200lb axle and 15 in. wheels. Cost $460.00 extra. Mine should be here in a couple of weeks.

ccc6588
03-24-2004, 07:44 PM
If the payload of the 2720 is a problem do as I have done--order it with the 5200lb axle and 15 in. wheels. Cost $460.00 extra. Mine should be here in a couple of weeks.

You have really done your homework! I am sure your TM will be perfect after all the complaining I have done directly to TM. I think they have some growing pains. See the link below.

http://oakridger.com/stories/010604/bus_20040106034.shtml

You may see my TM being serviced there while you pick up.

ccc6588
03-24-2004, 07:53 PM
We are thinking of purchasing a trailmanor and torn between two. Other than the 50 lbs. extra weight of the 3023 and the extra two sleeping from 4 to 6, what are the advantages/disadvantages between the 2720SL and the 3023? I know about the towing aspect with the extra 50 lbs.

John

A boat salesman friend of mine always told me to go with the larger one when you face this with boats. He was right. The 3023 comes with the dinnette now rather than the couch/2 chairs. The website has not been updated. I'm not sure if you can specify the couch/2 chairs.

BobWilson
03-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Something to consider is what is your purpose and how much time will you spend inside. I find it a challenge to see how little we can bring and still have all we need. We travel to be outdoors. We spend as much time as possible including cooking, eating and relaxing outside. Some people don't have the luxury of good weather that we have experienced in California, however.

We like our 2720SD. I wouldn't want it longer because of the sharp turns of mountain roads, dips in the campground driveways, and small campsites we use. A longer trailer means fewer useable sites will be available. Though the 3023 may be only 50 pounds more, how much more weight in personal belongings do you need to take? That's more to haul, harder on the tow vehicle and less gas mileage up the grades.

But if you travel in the plains on flat roads and use RV parks with large sites then maybe the longer unit is for you.

Hope this helps.

Bob W.