PDA

View Full Version : New Purchase-2002 Trailmanor 3023

sdsacr
05-23-2016, 08:20 PM
I posted a question last week, and said I would do a proper introduction when I got a moment. My wife and I have been looking for a camper for about 6 months now. I wanted a pop-up just to try out camping and see if it is for us, the wife, who grew up with pop-ups, wanted no part of wet, smelly canvas again. Had never heard of a Trailmanor even 3 weeks ago. Thanks to the wonders of Craigslist, found a 2002 3023 about two hours away in Florence, SC. After researching these units, we were immediately sold on them. We have set it up in the driveway each of the past two weekends. Here is what we have accomplished, and another list of what is yet to complete.
So far:
Replace exterior door knob, unit did not come with keys
Fix ground on both rear tail lights
Fabricate license plate bracket
Sanitize water system
Un-seize all hardware on both stone guards, wing nuts were seized to threaded bolt
Install Carbon Monoxide detector
Replace Fire Extinguisher
Fix oven door
Lubricate all moving metal parts
Clean, clean, clean

Yet to do:
Grease wheel bearings
Replace tires ( date code is 2005, yikes! )
Repair awning, knobs will tighten, but the arms will not lock in place
Fantastic fan is not working, will check vent opening switch
Bathroom fan is not working
Replace battery, unit came with 5 year old Group 24, will upgrade to Group 31, waiting on Amazon to ship larger battery box

Looking forward to getting out in the next month or so. Previous owner had unit hooked up to power when we purchased, so we were able to verify that A/C, water heater and fridge all worked. I have not tried to run the propane system yet.
This forum has provided much help and support so far. Thanks

jleinbaugh
05-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Welcome to TM's! We have a 3023 as well!

B_and_D
05-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Congrats!

LoveToCamp
05-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Welcome! Looks like you have made good progress on getting it ready for your own use. After your first trip, or two, you will have a longer "to do" list, to tweak it to your personal desires. Lots of mods that can be done, but not all will work for you. Finding the ones that interest you is half the fun of searching the forum!

Enjoy your TM!

Craigrrr
05-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Welcome, Looks like a nice TM. Yeah you will be modding a few things more :) Led lighting television mounts. You will have tons of fun!

05-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Tires!...don't scrimp when it comes to tires...I have started using Maxxis tires and have found them to be the best. Also I would like to say a hardy welcome to the TM family. This forum is invaluable.
I know it's early and you are a :new_newbi and all, but if I were a new TM owner and was considering doing just one modification to my trailer, it would be taking out that Thetford recirculating toilet and replacing it with the Dometic Sealand 711 M28C that you can get from Scamp trailers http://www.scamptrailers.com/ . It is WORLDS better than the Thetford! It's a bit pricey, but more than worth the cost in livability in your TM. Please feel free to go and take a look at mine that I installed in my 3124KS. You can see all my modifications that I have done (and the toilet too) on my website
http://www.trickmytrailmano.com .
Feel free to contact me at any time if you wish.
A Big Howdy
Tom :)

momto4girls
05-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Congrats on your new TM. I love the layout of the 3023! We just bought a 2002 2720. Do you have pictures?

sdsacr
06-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I have a busy weekend planned working on the Trailmanor. Here is the list:

-Picking up new tires this afternoon. Taking wheels off tomorrow and having them mounted/balanced Saturday morning.
-Greasing axles
-New battery box is here, swinging by Sam's Club today to p/u Duracell Grp 31 deep cycle. Need to mount new box and install battery.
-Parts came in from Debra @ MCD. Need to install new front stone guard arm supports, new external shower head, and new latch.
-Trouble shoot fantastic fan, will check to see if switch is the problem.

If all goes well, taking it to a local county park campground about 10 mins away and staying Sunday & Monday night. It will be a good break in trip that will have us close to home if issues arise.
I will update the thread this weekend once the work is done
Thanks for all the help.

Craigrrr
06-03-2016, 11:16 AM
I believe the Torflex axle requires no grease as it contains a rubber cord or cords . Maintenance free from what I have read in my manula. However the wheel bearings do need to be repacked . But not the axle.. maybe you have a different type under your TM??

sdsacr
06-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I meant grease wheel bearings. I have the EZ grease axle with the zerk fitting. Thanks

Bill
06-03-2016, 02:08 PM
If all goes well, taking it to a local county park campground about 10 mins away and staying Sunday & Monday night. It will be a good break in trip that will have us close to home if issues arise.This is a perfect way to get acquainted with your new TM. Not only can you cope with "issues", but you can run home, or run to the store, if you find that you need something that you didn't think of - such as an opener for those pesky non-screw-cap beer bottles!

It is a good plan - everyone should follow it with a new-to-you TM.

Bill

sdsacr
06-03-2016, 08:40 PM
HELP!
Got the Trailmanor home this evening and set it up in the driveway. Just like a couple of weekends ago, I plugged up my Honda EU1000 to run some lights and the stereo. The generator immediately goes into overload. Never done that before. I got the new battery installed and tried to turn on some lights inside. Only two of the ceiling lights inside would work. They all worked 2 weekends ago. What could be causing this, some sort of short? Where should I start looking? Thanks

Bill
06-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Re the gen overload, was the air conditioner switched on? Was the water heater electric element switched on (switch is outside)? Either of these will overload an EU-1000. Hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave, space heater - anything that creates a lot of heat?

The EU-1000 sh0uld handle most other loads. Lights, stereo, battery charger/converter, water pump, all should be OK. The EU-1000 is a nice generator. I use one myself.

Remember that nothing in the rear shell will work if the little silver button under the bathroom wall is not FULLY depressed.

Bill

sdsacr
06-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Nothing was turned on when the overload occurred. We did not assemble the bathroom, so that is why the lights where not working. Thanks for that tip. However, I just plugged in the generator and it went straight to overload again. I will check the water heater and A/C again to make sure everything is off. Thanks.

sdsacr
06-04-2016, 04:13 PM
OK, opened up the water heater access on the outside of the unit. The switch is in the ON position. However, when I go to move the switch to OFF, there is great resistance. The switch will move towards OFF, but when you let go, it goes back to ON. Do you think this may be the problem? I plugged the trailer in to the generator two weekends ago, and it ran the lights & stereo with no problem. I have no messed w/ the water heater since.

sdsacr
06-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Figured it out. I pushed as hard as I could on the water heater switch, and with Herculean effort, finally got it to move to the OFF position. I then plugged in the generator and everything is fine, no overload. THANKS so much for the help & ideas. Best $12 I've ever spent on the Trailmanor.

Update from today:

-Got the tires mounted, balanced, installed w/ metal valve stems and torqued to 95 ft lbs.
-Greased bearings on both sides. Used an entire 14oz tube of grease per wheel!! I noticed, especially on the curb side, that the hub turned much easier once I put in the new grease.
-Installed new LED tail lights
-Installed new external shower head
-Installed new front stone guard supports. Had to drill out factory rivet and replace with stainless bolt and lock nut.

Headed to local campground tomorrow afternoon, will update once we are setup. Thanks again.

Bill
06-05-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm glad you got the problem relieved. But I'm not thrilled by the very stiff action of the switch. You may have to replace it.

Unfortunately, since the switch was in the ON position, it is possible that you or the previous owner may have burned out the water heater's electric heating element by applying AC power to it when there was no water in the heater. A common mistake, so don't beat yourself up about it. It is possible that AC power was applied from a shore power source (campground power post, or extension cord from your house), which fried the heating element, and the power surge that was involved overheated the switch. On the other hand, the heating element may still be good, since it is trying to draw power from the generator. You won't know until you try it.

You can check the heating element by filling the water heater, plugging the trailer into shore power, and flipping that switch back to on. If everything is good, you should have hot water in 10 minutes or so. Shore power is needed because, as you discovered, the EU1000 won't power the water heater. This may, in fact, have saved you if the generator cut off before the heating element fried.

If you have to replace the heating element, the good news is that it is inexpensive and easy to replace. You will need a socket wrench and a big socket. If you don't have a socket wrench, it is quicker and easier to buy a special water heater wrench - also inexpensive - at the same time you buy the new element. See a picture of the wrench here.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8&pictureid=1437
It is just a piece of steel tube, with one end formed into a hex.
The switch is a little harder to replace, especially if you are not an experienced electrical guy.

The water heater will still work just fine on propane, so no need for immediate panic.

Wishing you good luck ...

Bill

sdsacr
06-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Got to the campground about 3:30pm today. Setup went great. Plugged into shore power and A/C cooled us down quick. Got to use my new white hose and pressure regulator for the water connection. Hooked up new sewer hose and drained gray water tank which was 2/3 full from the sanitizing project a couple weekends ago
Have not messed with water heater yet. Will fool with that tomorrow. Charged toilet for first time. Added 8oz of Campa Chem and everything seems good, it's flushing fine. Turned on gas and tested the stove, all 3 burners are working well. Brought my Coleman gas grill and are about ready to put the kabobs on. Thanks again for the help, couldn't have gotten this far without the forum.

Kidkraz
06-05-2016, 04:59 PM
I echo Bill's comments about replacing the switch. It should never take a herculean effort to move that switch. I stay with propane just easier for me; but not for everyone; and I reduce the chances of burning out the electrical element.
Glad that the weekend worked out for you.

sdsacr
06-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Messed with the water heater tonight. I filled the fresh water take full and while plugged into 30 amp, put the switch on the outside of the unit to ON. Heard some noise and figured something would happen. Waited 10 mins but no hot water. Turned on the propane and tried that way. It immediately lit, and we had very hot water shortly.
Question, when you say fill the water heater, is that accomplished by merely filling the fresh water tank or is there another procedure?
Also, had rain last night and have a pretty steady leak at front of A/C unit inside of the trailer. Should A/C gasket replacement be up next? Thanks

Bill
06-06-2016, 08:45 PM
To fill the water heater (remember it takes 6 gallons), you need a supply of pressurized water. Either "shore water", meaning a hose. Or put water in the fresh water tank and turn on the pump. Once your water supply is hooked up, just turn on the hot water faucet in the kitchen sink. There will be a bunch of hissing and gurgling, then some spitting, and finally a solid stream of water. Now the tank is full, and you may turn on the heater.

Bill