PDA

View Full Version : Allow readers and posters in New Zealand?

Jeff the marmot
08-02-2015, 01:03 AM
I understand that any administrator of a public forum these days needs to deal with a large number of spammers and bots, especially originating from foreign countries. However, I'd like to propose that you don't just block any foreign country from viewing this site. Specifically, when we were visiting New Zealand, I noticed that your site immediately blocks anyone from even viewing the TMO site. I also noticed that the TrailManor factory is open to getting a dealer in Australia and/or New Zealand (based on their web site). There ARE TrailManors there already, such as this one on some other person's web page:
http://comet.ak.planet.gen.nz/~matelec/TrailManor.htm
So I'm asking if you could please slightly loosen your reigns on blocking nearly all foreign visitors to this site and make an exception or two of countries that can read this site. Thanks!

Jeff the marmot
10-06-2017, 02:54 AM
I know this is an old thread. I just want to say THANK YOU! I can do searches and research from NZ. I'm currently posting this reply from New Zealand. This is incredibly helpful.

mecicon
10-06-2017, 05:49 AM
I was blocked while in Peru, the last few weeks. :eek:

Bill
10-07-2017, 05:09 AM
I may be able to help. If you are a Sponsor, and you plan foreign travel, send me an email or PM with your sign-in name and the dates you plan to be traveling.

This may work for Trial Members, too - but not so much for Registered Guests.

We'll see.

Bill

Sorry, this is not going to happen. See my next post below this.

Bill

BradS7535
10-07-2017, 11:55 AM
I think I was blocked when traveling to Mexico. Was for business so don't have any plans to return anytime soon. Didn't realize the site featured region blocking.

Larryjb
10-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I use a VPN and sometimes I have to change the VPN site. This could be a solution when travelling to blocked countries.

Bill
10-24-2017, 09:17 AM
After some discussion with Chris, and some research on his part, it appears that the board software will NOT accommodate temporary login permissions or any kind of region unblocks. JeffTheMarmot, I'm surprised you are able to get in from New Zealand, but I'm not IT-smart enough to know the inner mechanics of the Internet. I guess the answer is "Try it. But don't plan on it."

Sorry, all.

Bill

BrucePerens
10-24-2017, 12:54 PM
It is unfortunate, as I've not been able to log in the last time I was in Korea, Peru, Argentina, Brazil.

Bill
10-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Bruce, you (and everyone) should realize that this forum is a prime target for spammers, in part because it does not appear on any of the spam "easy target" lists. It is considered a challenge to the script kiddies who work our of their parent's basements. Some of them try to get in, but move on when their script-y tools fail. But some of them take that challenge seriously, and try various tricks.

As described in a post back in 2008
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7440
Chris works hard at making spammer intrusions difficult. My job is to come along behind the elephant and clean up what gets through. Chris' original goal was to make the forum spam-free, and I think it is working pretty well. Nothing is free, of course, and one of the costs of a spam-free forum is the subject of this thread.

Easy solutions are not easy to come by. If you have one, please contact Chris directly.

Bill

RottieMom
10-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Bill, I think y'all are doing a great job. Maybe it's just me, but when I was traveling out of the country recently (Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania & Transylvania), I didn't think once about trying to log into the TM Forum. :)

gonzo628
10-29-2017, 11:25 AM
The solution that no one has mentioned yet is VPN. Wherever you are, you connect to the VPN server of your choice (in the US) and voila, you are in as if you were here. There are a number of VPN options available, running the gamut in both feature and cost. IPVanish and NordVPN are two that come to mind...

I realize that most VPN solutions are not free, but they don't have to be used exclusively for TMOF access.

Larryjb
10-29-2017, 02:38 PM
I use a VPN and sometimes I have to change the VPN site. This could be a solution when travelling to blocked countries.

VPN's work well, but you may have to change the server. Private Internet Access has dozens of different servers available. I'm sure other VPN's have similar services.

gonzo628
10-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Oops, it was mentioned (thanks Larry). I, then, second Larry's assertion about VPN.

Larryjb
10-29-2017, 11:18 PM
See? My VPN worked so well Gonzo didn't even see me! :)

gonzo628
10-30-2017, 05:06 PM
mighty spiffy vpn you got there...