PDA

View Full Version : Camping At Branson, MO ?

ColoradoCop
01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Has anyone camped at the KOA at Branson MO? Planning on spending a week or two there this June. Would Like any opinions as to the campsite (Both pro and con)

Thanks,
ColoradoCop 8)

G-V_Driver
01-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Don't remember the name, but there was a campground a few miles north of Silver Dollar City on the east side of the highway that was quite nice when we stayed there some years back. Down in a pretty valley, etc. We were there in the fall and the leaves were spectacular.

No help on the KOA. Sorry.

Northwoods
01-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi, We've never camped near Branson, but we love camping in Missouri. Check out the Missouri state park site. They even show pictures of the sites with parking pad slope, etc. If you're coming from Colorado, take some time to see the National Scenic Riverways. The National Park camping areas on the Current and Jacks Fork Rivers are primitive, but our very favorite of all. Missouri has the second largest spring in the world at Van Buren, aptly called Big Spring. There are others close by, Alley Spring, Round Spring, and Pulltite. Farther north, at the headwaters of the Current River is Montauk Spring where there is trout fishing. The rivers are wonderful for canoeing and tube floating. Our 2330 worked out very well when we took it for its maiden voyage this past September. We could not believe how comforatble we were. We, too started out in tents and canvas pop-ups with a lot of gravel bar camping, too. The luxury is addictive. Can't wait to get out again next spring. Come to St. Louis and see some of the events connected with the anniversarys of the 1904 World's Fair and the Lewis and Clark expedition. (Did they call Missouri, the Showme State? I want to show, you!) Northwoods, we are Olga and Ken Smith of Florissant, MO.

G-V_Driver
01-11-2004, 10:43 AM
The North Fork of the White River (near Dora) in southern Missouri is where we started our "serious" family camping in the '70's. The white water canoeing is great between twin bridges and blair bridge, and a number of outfitters now have websites. The Mark Twain national forest surrounds the river, so it is (or was) still pretty pristine. The trout fishing is supposed to be excellent as well, but we didn't participate.

The white-water folks rate the rivers on a scale of 1-5, and this stretch is in the 3's. A number of pretty good riffles, but if you capsize it's not far to calm water where you can get going again.

The camping accommodations are much better now. I would recommend it for TM's. The spring rains can make the river somewhat treacherous, so late May and June seem to be better. Fall camping anywhere in the Ozarks is about as good as it gets in the middle of the US.

Gaston's White River Resort in northern Arkansas is a great place for trout fishing. I haven't camped there, just stayed in the cabins, but the trout fishing below the dam is a hoot. They have a runway if you want to fly in.

jquigley
07-11-2004, 07:30 AM
The only place we have stayed in Branson is at Tall Pines, it is a wonderful campground, beautiful area, however, it is back in camp sites at least where we were. I prefer to have pull through but it was still worth the time to park the rig. We also had a problem there with our TM and called for repairs. The guy came right out, and fixed the problem quickly and for a very reasonable price. All in all a great experience.

Glenn in TN
04-24-2005, 03:16 PM
The last time we were in Branson we stayed at Compton Ridge. Here is their website: http://www.comptonridge.com/

For a private campground, they were very roomy and well thought out sites. Since we were there (October of 2003) we have been getting calendars from them every year. They have a lot going on. It is very close to most of the Branson attractions and not very far from Silver Dollar City. The prices are very reasonable and they offer many arrangements of hook-ups. The indoor pool was a hit for the kids since it was October. I noticed from the website that they offer a 25% Good Sams discount!

We toured Table Rock Lake State Park while we were there. It seems very nice. You might have trouble getting a good site if they are all first-come-first-served.

Roy Boy
05-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey Colorado Cop.... I'm in Monument but am a Southern Missouri native...

Roaring River State Park is A MUST for you...it is one of the best state parks in the USA.. Great facilities, WORLD CLASS trout fishing, major fish hatchery, an incredible lodge, and great trails await....

It is close to Cassville, MO, but is also a short drive to Eureka Springs, AR (which is also a must if you visit Branson).

Make sure that you visit Silver Dollar City and Celebration City (more ride oriented) when you go...you won't be disappointed.

Wish it would quit snowing here...agree? :)

Doug W.
03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
You might find this handy if you go to Missouri: http://www.thetent.com/arcadia/mo/mocr_index.htm . I stumbled across it a few years back. More and more outfitters are getting websites. I like Northwoods prefer the Current and Jacks Fork rivers. My grandparents on my mom's side grew up down there. My mother got the old place, but the old house had to be torn down. It is in the town of Summersville. For Northwoods, it is the next town you come to if you go across Akers Ferry. It is fun to cross the ferry, but with the TM it would be a no go.

The Current river is the most spring feed river in Missouri. You can float it anytime. I have floated as early as March and in late October. I want to do a New Year's Day float some time. I know it sound strange, but I know some people who do that almost every year. It has a real neat spring/cave called Cave Spring. It is a spring at river level. We have about 8 canoes in it at one time.

The Jacks Fork from Alley Springs on down can also be floated any time. That section like the Current has some development, but most of both rivers are in the National Scenic Waterways. The real treat is if you go in the spring or a few days after a big rain. Try floating the upper Jacks Fork. It is very primitive. Some of my favorite places to camp until mom put the house on the land in Summersville are up there. Some you can get the TM in, but you would have to be pretty brave to try others.

We will do a few close to home shackdown camping trips, but this will most likely be the first real place we will go with the 3124KS I am picking up this coming week. My brother just missed being sent to Iraq, but was sent to Korea for two years last summer instead. He is coming back on leave and we are all meeting at my mom's on Memorial Day Weekend for a Canoe trip or maybe two. With mom, me and my three brothers, our four wives, 12 children (ages 26 to 7, but some will not make it), one wife of a nephew and one grandchild plus any friends that come, the TrailManor will come in handy. Mom wants to buy my old tent trailer, so I will have to try and take it down before then.

Northwoods
03-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Your trip sounds like fun. We have floated and camped all of the places that you mentioned. It is now possible to reserve sites at Pulltite, Round Springs, Alley and Van Buren. I think they even have some electric sites at Alley. We have reserved 10 days at Pulltite in June. We are so excited to have been able to "pick" our site in advance and have it waiting for us. We will be there from June 20-30. Can hardly wait!. Northwoods

Doug W.
03-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Well that is one nice thing about staying with mom, I never need a reservation. I do need to get down and install a 30 circuit for our new 3124KS. I am also going to see about getting a dump installed. You might also find this link handy: http://www.mostateparks.com/ . My son found it and it has pictures of the damage done to the Johnson Shut-Ins by the flood caused by that dam break. Luckily it happend in the off season. They also have pictures show their progress in the cleanup effort. As an added bonus, the site will also let you reserve campsite at many of the state parks.

rlr001
01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Stayed at Shepherd of the Hills. Its a little out of town, but beautiful area, and clean, well taken care of place. KOA in town is nice too, and easy access to everything. Its a very nice KOA.