PDA

View Full Version : The Brick

clan_salmons
02-15-2014, 09:51 AM
For the past thirty years my brother and I have exchanged a brick for Christmas. It's a very old hand-made brick, so we take careful pains not to loose it. Naturally we try to come up with the most creative way possible to disguise it. 2013 was my turn to give The Brick and this is what I came up with.

Enjoy

Redtail Cruiser
02-15-2014, 12:53 PM
WOW! That is very impressive with great attention to detail. Good job!

(what? No air conditioner?). :)

Lesherp
02-15-2014, 01:12 PM
:eek: That is so Cool! So the brick is inside; I could not see it.

hillbillyhotel
02-15-2014, 01:27 PM
that is nice,,
would you build some to sell??? I know I would like one

MarkoPolo
02-15-2014, 05:12 PM
:) That is so well done. However, I don't see the Andersen No Sway hitch!

TrailManorMan
02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Love the creativity!

clan_salmons
02-15-2014, 11:01 PM
I had fun building it, but sorry it's one of a kind. I only had about a week to pull it off. I was running out of time and had to skip the roof vents and AC. And yes, the brick is in there.

I guess I should reveal the trick to it. The whole thing is Photoshopped pictures of my TM glued to 1/8" plywood. I used nothing more than an Xacto razor saw to cut out the pieces. I used a little spackling to get the front roof curve right.

The photos were taken on a cloudy day which provided me with even flat light. They were printed on matte photo paper which gives that nice illusion of depth. Getting the perspective right when aligning the photos was probably the hardest part. That and removing a dogwood tree from the curb side image.

All in all, I was quite pleased with the outcome.

i've got two years to figure out what to do next.

rvcycleguy
02-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Ok. Everyone get busy on their own version of the "Brickmanor" . Should be fun...

LoveToCamp
02-16-2014, 08:12 PM
I must say, I am impressed, even with your self-described "short cut". I wondered how you got all the detail built, but Photoshop explains that. You did a great job on your re-creation!

Logman
02-17-2014, 06:56 PM
My first thought when I saw that was Three D Printer! Nice job. Logman Bill

CAmark
02-25-2014, 08:59 PM
You may not have to worry about the brick in two years; you may not get it back next year since you did such a spectacular job! Camark

clan_salmons
02-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Thanks, but there is no doubt the brick is coming back. He had the brick out before we left. No damage to the model as the shells weren't glued down. I didn't want to make him tear it up.

If he dies first, it's going in the coffin.