PDA

View Full Version : TM's on the road.....

Happytrails
08-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Welp, finally passed another TM on the road today. It was the first one I've seen out there on the roads! It was headed North on I81 by Roanoke, Va. towed behind a big black Dodge (I think) truck. (Opposite direction btw). Had to wonder for a min if it was someone from this board! Somehow they look bigger going down the road than they do sitting in your driveway closed up!  :D

Happytrails.........

Chris_Bauer
08-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Don't ya just want to chase them down sometimes?  I have only seen one  and we met at Mustang Island, TX.  I couln't believe it.  It has been the best TM experience so far, among others, City of Rocks, Gila Nat'l Forest, Big Bend, so many parks so little time.

It really is the greatest thing on wheels.

oilspot
08-19-2002, 02:04 PM
I was behind one a few weeks ago on Briley Parkway here in Nashville.

Just like Happytrails, I wondered if it was somebody from this board...

I think it was a 2720 (like mine) towed by a Ford exploder with Indiana plates.

oilspot
08-19-2002, 02:04 PM
I was behind one a few weeks ago on Briley Parkway here in Nashville.

Just like Happytrails, I wondered if it was somebody from this board...

I think it was a 2720 (like mine) towed by a Ford exploder with Indiana plates.

arknoah
08-20-2002, 01:19 AM
Alas, we have yet to see another Trailmanor on the road or camping, though we've met four or five couples who knew about and considered buying them.

Maybe we ought to put something on the rear of our units that show we're members of this board....

Civil_War_Buff
08-20-2002, 02:05 AM
I went down to Ft. Tejon in Southern California over the weekend and on my trip home up I-5, I actually saw 2 TM's.  I thought that was great!! I wonder if they know about this forum?  :P ;) 8)

kempert
08-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Before I bought my 2720SL, I saw a TM at a campground at Peaks of Otter on  the Blue Ridge Parkway.  My mom was with me and was shocked that I saw it through the woods (about 50 yards off the road).  I guess that my "radar" was in full operation.  I didn't have the time to stop and talk with the couple (OH tags) but it was great to see a TM.

tipper
08-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Last year we camped in an adjacent site to a TM in Michigan.  We were in first and they had set up without noticing us.

When we travel we look for the ratio of TM to Hi-Los.  This season we have seen about 2-3 Hi-Los per trip and no TMs.  Of course, we should be counted as one by the Hi-Los would presumeably see us.  So I might generalize that there are considerably more Hi-Los than TMs out there.

The TM plant might produce about 600 in a good year so there aren't a lot out there.  Obviously, the TM fills a niche RV market.

08-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Last year, on a 3 week, 6000 mile trip, we saw one other TM at the KOA campground on the eastern side of Glacier National Park.  It's lonely out there, but maybe one day the rest of the country will catch on!

Wrench
08-21-2002, 03:01 AM
I saw two while at the Grand Canyon in June. A 2720, and a 3124 I think. I had been interested in the TM prior to that, and with our 1978 Class C American Clipper getting 5.4 mpg on a good day, I had pretty much already decided to sell it in favor of another RV. Both TM owners were friendly and helpful, convincing me that setup/takedown and towing were easy. The rest is history. Upon our return to our home in Norther CA, I sold the Cipper almost immediately to a contact made on the American Clipper website and found our 3023, neglected in the back corner of an RV delaer in Redding, CA. Our first trip is Labor Day.

PAUL_R
08-21-2002, 04:42 AM
not yet! we have done two major back to back trips this summer, grand cannyon and cape cod, but have not seen any other TM on the road. we have tickets and campground space for the oct albuquerque balloon fiesta....maybe we will see a TM then.

p.s. so far all our trips have been trouble free. my advice is always watch your speed ( we don't go over 60mph...no hurry), check your tries often and inflate if needed, don't overload your unit, and we don't tow with anything in the tanks (fresh or gray/waste).

be safe.

tipper
08-21-2002, 09:58 AM
off topic---

Paul R re. your PS:

This was my advice before I had a blow out although I do run faster than 60mph.  

So I would add to replace the Carlisle tires.

Bill
08-22-2002, 12:29 AM
On our 5000 mile cross-country roundabout trip in June, we saw only two. One was on I-90 in the middle of Washington state on June 23 - he was headed west, we were going east. Then we camped near another, a nice-looking older model, in a sidehill campground in Deadwood, South Dakota a couple nights later.

Somehow, in that many miles/days, I expected more ...

Bill

08-22-2002, 12:25 PM
We've had our TM for 2 seasons now, and I think we've seen maybe one or two others.  I thought it was just because we were on the West Coast, but maybe not...Wherever we go, we stroll around the campground and check out peoples' rigs, also looking for fellow TM folk.

Not that we're lonely--we almost always have an audience when we popup/down.  ;D

Marcia

arknoah
08-23-2002, 12:53 AM
We have also been noticing the number of Hi-los and Towlites we see, though because we've seen no other Trailmanors, I can't report a ratio.  In one campground in Pennsylvania, we saw 3 Hi-los, which tells me there must be a dealer nearby.  We also saw two in the Ocean View Resort Campground in New Jersey during vacation.

Like most of you, I would say that our pulling in and setting up generally nets lots of stares and comments, though I still wish I would see more of us out there!

oilspot
08-23-2002, 05:30 AM
Before we bought our TM, we saw an older one at a campground in Helen, GA.

It was easter weekend of this year, and it rained like the dickens the whole time.  We never had a chance to check it out....

grkman1
11-19-2002, 08:49 AM
This summer my brother in law and I went cross country to Grand Canyon and back.  We both have 2619, and travelled about 7000 during the month of June.

We did not see one TM on our travels.  We also had audiences when we opened and closed.  I was dissapointed that we didnt see any.  Many were eager to check ours out.  Love the  TM

George

ColoradoCop
05-06-2003, 07:59 PM
First time discussion for me.  Just heard about the site yesterdaY.  As a COP, I travel the highways most of the time and I have only seen 2 TM's since I bought mine 2 years ago.  Was wondering if they were all afraid of my radar unit ;D

Civil_War_Buff
05-07-2003, 01:13 AM
First time discussion for me. Just heard about the site yesterdaY. As a COP, I travel the highways most of the time and I have only seen 2 TM's since I bought mine 2 years ago. Was wondering if they were all afraid of my radar unit ;D

ColoradoCop,

Welcome to the site.....this is truly a jam packed site for TM info and tips.....sit back, relax and enjoy the the ride.

As for the radar, hmmm, that could be it! I know that with my 2720, I hardly know it's back there, and when I "rocketing" down the road, it's easy to be doing 65MPH without even giving it a thought. ;)

I will be going from CA to PA and back beginning next month, I hope to see a "few" more TMs on the road and not all of them at the factory! :-[

Again, welcome, make yourself at home, because home is where the TM is. ;D

flyday
05-07-2003, 02:38 AM
To Paul R-
Look for us in October at Balloon Fest. I had forgotten about it until I read your post. We have land in southern NM and vacation in October, so we'll already be in the area. Do you have a place in mind to stay?
Dick

hal
05-07-2003, 03:39 AM
Colorado Cop.  The reason you don't see them and that your radar gun doesn't pick them up is because they are made from the same material as the stealth fighter.  Some people claim they don't really exist because they haven't seen one..... same category as ufo's and aliens and Roswell.  Atually, they may have passed right by you.  If they were coming from Kansas into Colorado, they were probably not going too fast (kind of a reverse warp) as it is all up hill and into head or cross winds.

By the way, you have probably driven past the Burlington "Olde Town" and noticed the white church.  That was built by my wife's grandfather when he was a pastor in Armel  (to the north of Burlington)  It was moved from Armel to be on display at this location.

Hal

oilspot
05-08-2003, 03:04 AM
I saw a fellow TM at Desoto Falls State Park in Alabama over easter weekend.  Never had a chance to catch up the them, but another RV couple stopped by to say hello... Turns out they were ex-TM owners that outgrew their stately TM and are now "full timers."

FWIW: The other TM was nice looking - 2000+ model.

Chris_Bauer
05-08-2003, 07:44 AM
South Padre is a great place.  We always stay at Isla Blanca at the West end of the island.  Makes for great beach combing in the winter.   Joseph's is a great restaurant, good service, great food and atmosphere.
Pirate's Landing is good too, but it was a much better restaurant before they expanded and remodeled.  

Enjoy your stay, wish we were there :-/.

Chris

Bill
05-10-2003, 03:33 AM
First time discussion for me. Just heard about the site yesterdaY.

Hey Colorado!  Glad to see you followed up!  That was me you talked with at the gas stop a couple days ago.  We just pulled into our driveway in Maine last night.  Long trip, but fun.  Hope you stay around the board here - there's lots to learn, and lots to teach.  This is a good group of folks.

Bill