PDA

View Full Version : What membership gets you

kdrickard
10-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Forgive this suggestion as I'm probably missing something here... ??? Tonight while logging out of the board (just a weird security habit I have), I noticed the sponsors area went away as expected. As I poked around I did not see any reference to the board topics members or trial members could access. So, out of curiosity I created a trial member account to see what a trail member would have access to (sorry for creating a trash account). When I logged in to the trial account I could post, but saw the same topic areas as a just someone who did not have an account.

Suggestion: Mention somewhere if the automatic upgrade from registered to trial member takes some amount of time to activate and/or list the specific forums full members have access to. In a perfect world, seeing the member board topics but not being able to access (view) them would probably the most obvious way to illustrate what member status gets you.

I may be getting it all mixed up on how it's supposed to work, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Thanks,

Kevin

P.S. The trash account I created was "DeleteMe" (sorry again).

vortex
10-08-2003, 07:30 AM
I concur with Kevin. I'm experiencing these issues right now. I just signed up for the sponsorship (via PayPal); however, there is no automated feedback as to when the upgrade (from registered to sponsor) will be effective or where the sponsor sections of the forum are located. A practical implication of this is my need to find some archived solutions recommended by members so I can work on the TMnr this Friday in preparation for a trip this weekend but I feel left in limbo. Regards, Vortex

vortex
10-08-2003, 07:31 AM
I concur with Kevin. I'm experiencing these issues right now. I just signed up for the sponsorship (via PayPal); however, there is no automated feedback as to when the upgrade (from registered to sponsor) will be effective or where the sponsor sections of the forum are located. A practical implication of this is my need to find some archived solutions recommended by members so I can work on the TMnr this Friday in preparation for a trip this weekend but I feel left in limbo. Regards, Vortex

Chris
10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Great feedback. I'll look into it and see what we can do to make that more indicative of the flow of the process.
Thanks
Ct..

efelker
10-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Chris:

There's a conversation in the "For Sale" section with Bill_NM. He's talking to a trail member and it's evident from the conversation that the trail member thought he was accessing everthing possible on the site. For him that's true, but apparantly what he didn't realize was that there's lots more if you become a sponsor. Bill explained what else is on the website.

Suggestion: Is there a way for trail members to see all the topic areas, but only be able to access those we've already agreed would be for trail membership. Once trail members realize there's a maintenance area, and tips, etc, I'll bet there'll be more who become sponsors.

What do you and the other "bogwons" think?

Ed

mjlaupp
10-08-2003, 09:55 PM
When I suggested the current board layout I also suggested an access level plan as follows. I think that this scheme should provide the incentive for recruting new site sponsors.

Access levels:

Guest - Can view all areas to the string subject level. Can not open a string or post.

Registered Guest - Can view and post to "Guest Area" and "For Sale". Can view "Sponsor's Area" and "General System Notifications" to the string subject level, but can not open a string or post to these areas.

Trial Member - Same access as a Site Sponsor for 10 to 30?? days then reverts to Registered Guest access.

Site Sponsor - Full access to all areas except those reserved for the administrator.

MJL ;)

Chris
10-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Mike,
We got to as much of that as we can. We can't open it to them without Registered Guests having full access.
Thanks for the idea though.
Ct..

mjlaupp
10-10-2003, 09:47 AM
:)

Happytrails
10-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Well, I think since it is our board, keyword "our", we should feel free to tell people about the other sections, and encourage them to try out and be a trial member just as Bill did. Word of mouth after all is what this place is all about after all. As it doesn't cost a penny to "try it out", I think this is the best approach with the impliments we have at our disposal......so basically, Chris has things right........Great job Chris! I say if any of us sponsers see's someone that is unaware of places on this site, Tell em about them!!! Hey guys, we got this far, we can sure get further! My $0.02

Happytrails..........

vortex
10-20-2003, 06:26 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Would someone please "...Tell em about them!!!..." for me -- I paid up but I'm still a trial member and I have no idea where to go to access the Maintenance section. I offered to waive the "free" month of membership to get to the membership level required to access the MT&T section; however, no answer (from Tina).

I work in the software integration business and I don't believe there is any reason why this (MT&T-access) should be so complicated, confusing, difficult, and darn right frustrating.

Usually permission levels can be set for different forums for different user levels. If they can't in this case then it can be recommended to the software developer for incorporation into the next bug-fix or major release of the software.

Vortex

Windbreaker
10-20-2003, 07:35 AM
Vortex, could I suggest you go ahead and take the free month. That will give Chris time to get you in as a full member. Chris does this for us. He no longer has a TM and therefore has only this BBS as his connection, it is a labor of love for him, something he does just for fun and he too has a life to live. Sometimes it takes a little time.

so. . . you should take the free month and enjoy.

vortex
10-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi Windbreaker,

The point I've tried to (hopefully, constructively) convey is that, regardless of how long it takes, an estimated processing time and related information needs to go into a comprehensive introductory FAQ or auto-email to prospective and/or new members.

BTW, if CT is no long a TM owner and this is a P/T effort for him then has anyone considered asking TrailManor to host the forum to relieve him of the burden -- or, did they already reject the idea. This should be part of TM's user support.

Since I believe most of the answers I'm looking for are in the MT&T section, it'll be a stretch to "enjoy" the trial period; however, I'll definately "chill out (as my teenagers say)". Thanks.

Vortex

mjlaupp
10-20-2003, 08:41 AM
The point I've tried to (hopefully, constructively) convey is that, regardless of how long it takes, an estimated processing time and related information needs to go into a comprehensive introductory FAQ or auto-email to prospective and/or new members.
One way to get the above done is for you to become a site sponsor and help to provide the needed services.

BTW, if CT is no long a TM owner and this is a P/T effort for him then has anyone considered asking TrailManor to host the forum to relieve him of the burden -- or, did they already reject the idea. This should be part of TM's user support.
This is not a TrailManor supported site and will not be a TrailManor supported site! We do not wish to have vendors of any type sponsoring this board so that we can enjoy a free exchange of information. We, the TM owners, are the site sponsors. The $12 membership fee is used to pay for site maintenance and improvement. No advertising!

Since I believe most of the answers I'm looking for are in the MT&T section, it'll be a stretch to "enjoy" the trial period; however, I'll definately "chill out (as my teenagers say)".

There is more information here about TrailManors and other related subjects than you will find anywhere else on the net. Come join us and help improve the the board, the services and your TrailManor.
MJL :)

Bill
10-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Would someone please ...Tell em about them!!!... for me -- I paid up but I'm still a trial member and I have no idea where to go to access the Maintenance section. I offered to waive the free month of membership to get to the membership level required to access the MT&T section; however, no answer (from Tina). Am I missing something here? Who is Tina? What is MT&T? And I'm not sure I was aware of any free month. My first reaction was that this message was inadvertently posted to the wrong forum, but maybe not.

At any rate, Chris is VERY responsive. If you gotten your $12 to him, you will be fully Admitted to the Mysteries very soon.

Bill

vortex
10-20-2003, 08:25 PM
"Am I missing something here?" -- you be the judge of that -- meet Tina and the free month below. MT&T=Maint., Tricks & Tips. I never mentioned "Chris". Navagating any software (such as this Fourm) should be clear and simple -- not a Mystery that one humbly awaits as a revelation from from on high.

Vortex

You have successfully signed up for a subscription to TrailManor Owners
Page Sponsorship using PayPal.

Your first subscription payment, for $0.00, has already been sent to Tina
Tretta.
------------------------------
Subscription Details
Date of sign up: Oct. 8, 2003
Subscription Name: TrailManor Owners Page Sponsorship
Item Number: 001
Subscription Terms: Free for first month
Then $12.00 for 1 year
At the end of your introductory period stated above, you will be charged a
single payment based on the terms unless you cancel prior to the end of the
introductory period.

If you have any questions or concerns about this subscription, please
contact Tina Tretta.
Contact Information
Name: Tina Tretta
Email: [email protected]

Chris
10-20-2003, 08:55 PM
The way it works is that at least once a day I run queries that change each person who signs up into Trial Members. That is what you stay for 30 days or if you decide you want to join, that you make payment. After 30 days, you get converted to a registered guest. For some folks, that's all they want. For others, they want to become sponsors.

Now for the item you list, that's through paypal. I thought it would work easier than it has, so I'll make the changes. It doesn't work very well to have the trial period done through them.

I am working on further automation to get this all addressed, and should have it done soon. I'm learning a bunch about MySQL and PHP.

I continue to run the board because I believe in this product...Still to this day. I was going to transfer the board to someone else as the costs got out of control. Instead, we decided to keep it alive and turn it to a pay site. Since doing that, our membership has gone up dramatically. The 300+ members we list are all actively logged into the board. Every month I go through it and ensure that anyone who hasn't posted in more than 180 days is deleted.

As for TrailManor's participation, we know that they come and read, and some may even post every now and then, but we decided as a group, and as a partnership between the board and TM that it was best that we stayed separated. That keeps our opinions open and honest, and keeps the information that they read true as well.

I would have it no other way.
Thanks
Ct..

sheepdogs
10-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Do sponsers get deleted if they don.t post every 180 days?

Bill
10-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Vortex wrote Navagating any software (such as this Fourm) should be clear and simple -- not a Mystery that one humbly awaits as a revelation from from on high.

Vortex -

My apologies, I was unaware of Tina's presence, helping Chris out. However, I will suggest that your attitude needs a tweak if you are going to be happy on this forum. Chris does this for free, as a labor of love and a service to us. The (extremely modest) fee goes to pay the net-related expenses - which Chris himself absorbed for more than a year. If you don't like the way it is done, you can either a) go away, or b) volunteer to help make it better.

Having said that, welcome aboard. I hope you choose to be a contributing member of the forum. If not, I will be glad to personally refund your $12, and Chris can de-enroll you.

Bill

Chris
10-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Do sponsers get deleted if they don.t post every 180 days?

Nope...Sponsors don't ever get deleted.
Ct..

Chris
10-21-2003, 07:06 PM
So the way that Paypal works, one account is associated with the bank account. That email account is my wife's. Sending to [email protected] gets it to the main checking account.

For the record, there is a money back guarantee for here, but so far we're all just too dang happy to take advantage of it. If you ever want to opt out, all I ask is why, and I'll let you go from there.

We have no hostages here...Keep moving. ;)

Ct..

vortex
10-22-2003, 07:30 AM
"My apologies" and "welcome aboard" does NOT excuse PERSONAL attacks ("attitude... tweak", "go away", "refund your $12" and "de-enroll") -- there is no place on this, or any other forum, for PERSONAL attacks. I, and other new entrants, raised legitimate issues and offered constructive suggestions -- some of which OUR site administrator/moderator has already acted upon, taken under advisement, or dismissed at his discretion.

mjlaupp
10-22-2003, 08:43 AM
"My apologies" and "welcome aboard" does NOT excuse PERSONAL attacks ("attitude... tweak", "go away", "refund your $12" and "de-enroll") -- there is no place on this, or any other forum, for PERSONAL attacks. I, and other new entrants, raised legitimate issues and offered constructive suggestions -- some of which OUR site administrator/moderator has already acted upon, taken under advisement, or dismissed at his discretion.

Vortex:
Prior to your appearance on this board, none of the above quoted/shouted words and phrases were considered necessary, nor were they used!
Think about it!

vortex
10-22-2003, 05:20 PM
There is no place on this, or any other forum, for PERSONAL attacks ("your appearance", "Think About It!", or any other). I, and other new entrants, raised legitimate issues and offered constructive suggestions -- some of which OUR site administrator/moderator has already acted upon, taken under advisement, or dismissed at his discretion.

Chris
10-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Don't mean to break up the party, but it's time to put this one to rest.
Ct..