PDA

View Full Version : Campsite in the Mountains of VA

jgilliam1955
10-02-2003, 09:50 PM
;DThe Wife & I would like to camp on the weekend of Oct 18th in the mountains of VA. to see the colors. What is a good place to go?
We are in Williamsburg, VA.
Thanks

2619TM dieing to use.

Denny_A
10-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Back in my Navy days, when stationed in Norfolk, I did a lot of road racing. One of my favorite races was in Front Royal, VA ; during the fall. It was also timed to occur when color would be at or near peak. The 10k race went out and around rural roads; up and down rolling hills. Absolutely stunning.

However, that's pretty far from Wmsburg. Another good choice is the Skyline drive, starting at Waynesboro. Just zip up I-64 to and through Charlottesville. Blue Ridge Trail / Skyline Drive south of Waynesboro, I'm thinking, is probably going to provide the earliest color.

We camped in that area (Geo. Wash. Nat For.) when our kids were just wee liitle ones. Good memories.

Try this URL. If it doesn't display as Scenic Drives, then click on Scenic Drives and it should go there:

http://www.woodalls.com/outactiv/states/usa_va.cfm#drives

Darn it. Now I want go back there. But me better half wants a month to recover from the Black Hills! Ha.

Denny_A

efelker
10-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Couldn't agree with Denny more. The Front Royal area is one of my favorite areas of VA. It's also apple country, so there are great orchards to get them by the bushel, or any other apple products ...beautiful trees in the Autumn, cool crip mornings, smell of hardwood burning in fireplaces, peace and quiet ...and here I am looking out the window in my highrise apartment building in Old Town Alexandria -- definitely incentive to head out myself this weekend.