PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions: Roof Trim/Seal

tonysenes
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi All - Proud new owner of a 1999 2518. Liking it so far, not so psyched at the some of the work it needs.

The street side large window wall is in pretty rough shape. The previous owner left the window open in outside storage and the wall got pretty moist. It will need removal and replacing. I'll post that q to a different thread.

I'm trying to determine if/how water is getting in. We just got rain, and when I squeezed the front shell wall on the exterior, water came out. This tells me water is getting in the wall "sandwich" and I'd like to address that asap. First q: it looks like there are drain holes on the bottom of the shell - is water supposed to pass through it? I'd say no..

On the roof, there is a plastic trim piece that is busted in a few pieces. I've read in another thread that it is sealed underneath, and that the plastic is only to protect the caulk. Could this be where the water is getting in from? I'm going to fully reseal anyway. Should I lift up the plastic trim pieces and reseal using some of the popular products discussed here (eternabond, etc)?

Thanks for all opinions - I'd been on this forum for awhile before I made the purchase, and its a great great forum.

Tony
99 2518

tonysenes
08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
OK update on this one - I see no replies which means my question was probably not too clear. So - when I squeezed the wall, what I actually was squeezing was the vinyl, and that is where the water was. There was def. water getting in. I lifted up the trim and removed and replaced the screws with plenty of DAP sealent and sealed up the corners of the seams. Hopefully that does it.

In terms of the "wall", this is the wood panel screwed and stapled into the wall OPPOSITE the street side (my bad) - the large window side. Water had been leaking in via the window, and basically rotted that wood panel. So, I just removed it entirely.

Going to fabricate new curtains, fully seal the roof, put down a vinyl floor, and have covers made for the couch. That plus venting the Thetford stinker plus removing and burning the vinyl bag in the toilet. Finally, I'd like to update the bathroom with a new sink and faucet. I'll post that in another thread.