PDA

View Full Version : Replace current hitch to swing hitch

paultrnka
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I recently purchased a 2720. I would like any feedback or recommendations if I can replace the current hitch with a swing hitch to accommodate my garage.

MudDog
08-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Not sure where you live, but I believe at least a few of the dealers will do an after-market swing hitch (which in most cases is probably more robust than the factory version).

I know CustomRV in Southern California will do the conversion, and I would bet the Car Show in Colorado does it as well. Guessing the factory in TN would do it as well.

PopBeavers
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
When Dinuba RV was still operating in Rio Vista, CA, there was a local welder there that did the modifications.

You did not say where you live, so these referrals to California and Colorado may not be very helpful.

fwiw, I talked with a local trailer dealer. The designed and fabricated trailers of all kinds. They would not touch the crack in my TM frame at the tongue.

I suspect a TM dealer is the best place to start, based on my experience.

paultrnka
08-13-2012, 09:03 AM
I live in the twin cities in Minnesota.

Bill
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't mean to be discouraging, but my experience with welders is that if you tell them what to do, they can do it. Their skills are very impressive.

So can you tell them (specifically!) what to do? Not just hand-waving descriptions and napkin sketches, but dimensioned drawings? Very few of them are mechanical engineers. If you tell them what to do, and they do it to the best of their understanding of what you asked for, and it turns out to be wrong, they won't be responsible. I don't blame them, incidentally.

I have known and worked with a number of welders, and their welding skills constantly impress me. Design skills? Not so much.

Perhaps you know someone personally with different skills.

Bill