PDA

View Full Version : What I learned today about the furnace

Redhawk
07-13-2012, 10:55 PM
After installing a bigger vent on the furnace, I had to move the wire going to the igniter in the furnace so it wouldn't touch the vent fins. I then tested the furnace and all was fine....we go camping, it's 43 degrees when we wake up so i turn on the furnace. The fan kicks on but NO HEAT. Nice. Returning home, I start troubleshooting the furnace by pulling out the igniter and putting a meter on it. There's voltage, but no spark. Bottom line is that when I moved the wire, the end of the igniter rotated too, breaking a connection inside I assume. I noticed the connection on the new one is soldered and does not move...the lesson is "DO NOT MOVE THE WIRE OR THE CONNECTOR ON THE END OF THE IGNITER"

I haven't installed the new one yet, but I'm pretty sure this is the problem. If not, you'll see me posting for help.

Joseph
07-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Thank you for that one.;)

brulaz
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
After installing a bigger vent on the furnace, I had to move the wire going to the igniter in the furnace so it wouldn't touch the vent fins. ...

Hmmmm, I don't recall having to do that. IIRC the vent & fins were mostly outside the furnace box.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take another look at my installation just to be sure everything's ok. I know it works at least.