PDA

View Full Version : OK, Chris, what do the symbols mean?

Bill
09-05-2003, 07:19 PM
The old board, and the new one, have a bunch of symbols that are incomprehensible to me. Can you help!?

o "Sticky topic". And "locked sticky topic"
o "Total karma" on the members' list page
o "Biography" on the members' list page, along with the illiterate and misspelled response to the click.
o "New" on messages (new to whom? When does "new" become "not new"?)
o A "Solved" topic?
o The "thumbs up" and "question mark" icon in the threads list?
o "Report" on each message
o "Logged" on each message
o "Complete" on each message

There are others, but we'll start here.

Bill

Chris
09-06-2003, 09:31 AM
There are some new features with the new modification pack that I added that I need to disable. You have called out a couple of them.

A sticky topic keeps the topic at the top of the listings.
A locked topic means that you can read it, but not reply.
A locked sticky topic is a combo of both.
New is new since you last logged in.
Report means that you can report this thread to the moderator...Not a big deal on our board, but some boards have issues with posters being rude and unruly. That reports it to the moderators and the webmaster.
Logged means that the IP address of the poster has been logged. I can see them if there was a problem with threats or other things where we needed to involve someone's ISP. I have gotten people banned from their ISP due to abuse before...not on this board but on another.
Complete is for boards that are working on issues. If we had a troubleshooting board that TM visited, it would give the tech a quick way to see which ones are active, and which ones are solved so he or she doesn't go back to it.
I'll be spending some time today going over the issues with this change, and get rid of the things we don't want like the zodiac symbols. I wanted to ensure it was stable, and that there were other things that we did want about it so that I could just remove it otherwise.

Thanks
Ct..

Happytrails
09-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Chris, I really like the NEW feature, it's pretty handy, and understand the rest of them. Glad we don't have a very unruly group here....Guess some features are in preparedness for such things........Again, you're doing a great job and thanks!

Happytrails..........

Bill
09-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Chris -

I'm with Happytrails - the NEW is really a nice feature. Wish I had figured it out for myself ...

Thanks

Bill