PDA

View Full Version : 2619 trip to Naval Station Mayport,FL from St. Louis

hoverlover
11-17-2011, 06:38 PM

countrygirl
11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Very cool! We are just south of Jacksonville Beach...and we just came through St. Louis this past Saturday after over 2 weeks in Maryville, Mo.

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Nice, makes me want to go! :)

Tim

hoverlover
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi there,
Wish we lived there (Jax)instead of here. Have to be content with visiting for now.

hoverlover
11-17-2011, 07:26 PM
sorry Tim, first one got through at 300 dpi

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
sorry Tim, first one got through at 300 dpi

dascribner, Nothing wrong with your pics.

Yours are very reasonably sized.

Some folks post 4M+ and they take forever to load.

I added that to my Sig to encourage everyone to watch the file sizes.

hoverlover
11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Gotcha

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
dascribner, Were you staying at the Military Campground, Pelican Roost?

Tim

hoverlover
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, my first time. Have you been there?

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
No just wondered what you thought of it.

We stayed at Navy campground in Panama City Fl this spring and I was really surprised at how nice it was Full hookup, wify, free washer&dryer access -- no real beach (for swimming) access there though.

hoverlover
11-17-2011, 08:52 PM
It's beautiful. Right on the St. John's river entrance for commercial shipping and the Naval Station harbor entrance. Swimming beach is a very short walk from Pelican Roost. Tennis courts just behind the campground. NS golf course a half mile away. Full hookups, WiFI, cable.Washers/dryers(don't know if free), showers.

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 08:56 PM
It's beautiful. Right on the St. John's river entrance for commercial shipping and the Naval Station harbor entrance. Swimming beach is a very short walk from Pelican Roost. Tennis courts just behind the campground. NS golf course a half mile away. Full hookups, WiFI, cable.Washers/dryers(don't know if free), showers.

Ok, I'm sold, I'm putting that one on my gotta-go list. Always good to get a first hand report on campgrounds. Thanks for the response!

Tim

ShrimpBurrito
11-17-2011, 09:25 PM
To diverge a bit from the OP's post but on the topic of on-base campgrounds, I will note that the campground at Nellis AFB is an excellent place to stay in Vegas, especially if you're just passing through town. It's basically a parking lot, but when it's 115 degrees out, all you care about is power for your A/C, and private campgrounds in the area are obscenely expensive. IIRC, it's about 10 min from the strip, and it's fine checking-in after dark.

Dave

wbmiller3
11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
I assume you have to be (or have been) in the military to use these?

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Dave, nice to know that, thanks!
And on the same topic of on-base campgrounds: :)

We also stayed at the campground on Andrews Afb this last spring. We used it as a base to tour the DC area and visit some friends in the area. Just cannot beat the price for that area. It was a pain to get through security there, had to open the TV & TM for a weapons search. Understandable i guess since the CG is next to the golf course and the President and other Gov Vip's play golf there.

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Yes, the rules may vary but here is the one from Pelican Roost:

Active, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV, NAF, Dependents, Guests, Active DOD Civilians (Retired DOD Civilians not allowed on base).

ShrimpBurrito
11-17-2011, 10:05 PM

I forget exact eligibility criteria, but basically anyone active duty, reserve, retired, disabled vet, or DoD civilian.

There are some Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds, often times at damns, that are open to the public, and I've heard they can also be nice.

Dave, nice to know that, thanks!
And on the same topic of on-base campgrounds: :)

My pleasure, and good to know about Andrews. I stayed there as a scout when I was a kid, and we ate in the officer's mess. As you might imagine, that's several steps up from Boy Scout cooking, and as a young teenage boy, the all-you-can-eat feature was indeed a highlight.

It's was a pain to get through security there, had to open the TV & TM for a weapons search. Understandable i guess since the CG is next to the golf course and the President and other Gov Vip's play golf there.

We were at Fort Leavenworth with the TM a last year (although not camping) and had to do the same thing. A little less understandable vs Andrews, but whatever, no big deal. Our dog was barking his fool head off the entire time....he does not like people entering his personal space. :D

Dave

Barb&Tim
11-17-2011, 10:30 PM
For anyone on the board that may be eligible for military campgrounds, this website has a good listing of them with a fair amount of info:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

scrubjaysnest
11-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I guess those of us that had only a single enlistment and honorably discharged don't qualify?

Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds are our choice when we want hook ups.

We stayed at Valdez Glacier CG last year, it is open to the public since it is run in conjunction with the city of Valdez. Military get a discount. They had sites with and without hook ups. The new shower house/bathrooms were nice the vault toilets were really bad. All the sites were nice.

happybeebob
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I guess those of us that had only a single enlistment and honorably discharged don't qualify?

Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds are our choice when we want hook ups.

We stayed at Valdez Glacier CG last year, it is open to the public since it is run in conjunction with the city of Valdez. Military get a discount. They had sites with and without hook ups. The new shower house/bathrooms were nice the vault toilets were really bad. All the sites were nice.

Just got off the site and their FAQ which said that single enlistment with an honorable discharge were not eligible.