PDA

View Full Version : Towing speed

klv5920
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I am curious, just how fast do any of you drive while towing? I know the TMs are easy towing but is it wise to drive the speed limit or with the flow of traffic? Sometimes traffic on the interstates is way higher than it should be. And I know it depends on the road, weather condtions, traffic etc. I asked the seller we bought our 3023 TM from and he said 70 to 75 mph! My son-in-law, who helped us pick up the TM and who also pulls a larger camper in a Suburban was driving the speed limit and faster on the interstate. Holy Cow! Is that reasonable?
I understand that the larger the TV the more control but even so, is there an average speed or is it a matter of feel, traffic, etc?? And also common sense and what makes you feel comfortable?? I don't expect to be driving slow enough to get run over but the thought of zooming down the highway at top speed with over 3000# behind me is a little scarey!
So, just would like input from many, a traveling speed you feel comfortable and safe with during towing.
Thanks
KLV

ShrimpBurrito
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
If you have Goodyear Marathon tires, they are only rated up to 60 MPH. So going faster than that with those tires puts you at risk for premature tire failure.

There are other trailer tires out there that have much higher speed ratings. I had Kumhos before that were rated for over 100 MPH, so you can get around the tire rating.

However, as you mentioned, speed increases your stopping distance and decreases your safety margin. Regardless of the speed limit, including those areas in Texas that are 80 MPH (and soon to be 85), I don't tow above 60 MPH with the trailer. Not only is it safer, but it saves ALOT of gas. Going much faster than that, you might as well dump fuel out the window. On our first long trip with the TM years ago (before my current wisdom), we did long stretches at 70 MPH, and fuel economy tanked 30-40%.

That translates into alot more of a hit than you might think. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means you are paying for 67% more fuel. Our TV gets about 12 MPG (worst case) towing the TM. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means we only get 7.2 MPG. Traveling 500 miles, that means I would buy 42 gallons vs. 70 gallons, and at $4/gallon, that's a savings of ~$110 ($280 vs. $168). If it takes you 9 hrs to drive that 500 miles....well, you're SAVING over $12/hour!

Dave

Pitbull
04-12-2011, 11:25 AM
If you have Goodyear Marathon tires, they are only rated up to 60 MPH. So going faster than that with those tires puts you at risk for premature tire failure.

There are other trailer tires out there that have much higher speed ratings. I had Kumhos before that were rated for over 100 MPH, so you can get around the tire rating.

However, as you mentioned, speed increases your stopping distance and decreases your safety margin. Regardless of the speed limit, including those areas in Texas that are 80 MPH (and soon to be 85), I don't tow above 60 MPH with the trailer. Not only is it safer, but it saves ALOT of gas. Going much faster than that, you might as well dump fuel out the window. On our first long trip with the TM years ago (before my current wisdom), we did long stretches at 70 MPH, and fuel economy tanked 30-40%.

That translates into alot more of a hit than you might think. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means you are paying for 67% more fuel. Our TV gets about 12 MPG (worst case) towing the TM. A 40% reduction in fuel economy means we only get 7.2 MPG. Traveling 500 miles, that means I would buy 42 gallons vs. 70 gallons, and at $4/gallon, that's a savings of ~$110 ($280 vs. $168). If it takes you 9 hrs to drive that 500 miles....well, you're SAVING over $12/hour!

Dave

This is from Goodyear for the Marathons.

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.

o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

I think the Marathons (225/75/15) are D rated up to 65psi, so at max pressure you should be able to travel at 75mph (depending on the wheel's rating), or at least 65mph at lower pressure.

Koz

scrubjaysnest
04-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Besides the tire limitation on speed there are also state speed limits on towing trailers, many times these aren't posted. There are several threads that discuss this.
here is a link that is one example:
http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

Here is a second link with more info
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

For us we tow between 55 and 62 mph and try to avoid the interstates

brulaz
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
This is from Goodyear for the Marathons.

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.

o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire."

I think the Marathons (225/75/15) are D rated up to 65psi, so at max pressure you should be able to travel at 75mph (depending on the wheel's rating), or at least 65mph at lower pressure.

Koz

Yes, but Goodyear also says:
"Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer. The trailer manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire information placard or vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer."

My Elkmont says 65psi which is what I keep my tires at. And so my speed should be <= 65 mph according to Goodyear at that psi.

But I pretty much drive at what speed I find comfortable, economical, legal and safe, which at my age is around 60mph when hauling the Elkmont.

My reaction times are nowhere near what they used to be.

Bigbit
04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
In California, the posted max speed for vehicles towing trailers is 55 MPH, and that's what I do. That being said, I can assure you that many vehicles hauling boats, TTs' and 5th wheels zoom by me doing 65, 70 or faster. Crazy...

ShrimpBurrito
04-12-2011, 02:15 PM
In California, the posted max speed for vehicles towing trailers is 55 MPH, and that's what I do. That being said, I can assure you that many vehicles hauling boats, TTs' and 5th wheels zoom by me doing 65, 70 or faster. Crazy...

Exactly. I have personally need a travel trailer and its TV flip before my eyes during a sudden stop and swerve maneuver, and he wasn't even going very fast -- maybe 50 MPH. We stopped to help, and they weren't seriously injured, but at 70 MPH, I'm confident it would have been a different outcome.

Dave

Pitbull
04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Just for information, "E" rated tires can be used with the alloy wheels.

Koz

PopBeavers
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Dave

Are these ST tires or LT tires?

PopBeavers
04-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Signs of California freeways used to say something like

Trucks, autos with trailers speed limit 55.

So people with motorhomes, especially out of state, concluded that a motorhome is not an auto, therefor the sign does not apply to them.

California is in the process of changing the signs to state that anything towing anything speed limit is 55.

I have been know to hit 60+ mph when I was not paying close attention.

Usually I just set cruise control to 58. Then I don't have to keep an eye on the speedometer.

Scott O
04-12-2011, 03:16 PM
For a rather significant number of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned, I feel that anything over 60 is foolhardy to the extreme... Every once in awhile I read a post by some blockhead that they always tow at 75. The life of their trailer and possibly themselves and others will be measured in days rather than years.

joshbw
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Sometimes I wish the TM didn't tow so good because I forget its back there. Every once and awhile I look down and see 70 (not even realizing it) then bring it back down to reasonable tow speeds.

With that being said the TM does tow better than anything I ever towed before...just keep the speeds reasonable and legal.

Josh

klv5920
04-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone! The previous owner had just put new tires on so we are ok in that area. DH is aware of tire pressure etc. and the need to monitor. I have gone to the forum on tires and read and read all the info there.
DH has a love affair with the speed control so that should keep us at a constant speed. And 60 or a little less mph seems very comfortable to us besides the fact that we need to make the gas go as far as possible! That is one of the biggest reasons for buying the TM. And traveling interstates locally is convenient. Don't plan to travel all the time. Too much to see on the side roads!
Thank you, thank you! You are all very generous in sharing your knowledge. I certainly appreciate it!!
Any questions on sewing, upholstery, repairing awning cloth? I have expertise in these areas and would be glad to help!
KLV

Bill
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
DH has a love affair with the speed control so that should keep us at a constant speed.Cruise control can be good, but in my experience, it often is not.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52711

Bill

klv5920
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Bill
I read your other post and will pass info onto DH. Good to know and I am sure we will find this out as we get more experience with towing.

klv

brulaz
04-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Cruise control can be good, but in my experience, it often is not.

I love my Cruise, but, yes, I've often wished you could adjust how "aggressive" the cruise control is. With our Taco, I've learned just when to pop it out of cruise and when to put it back in. Eventually it gets automatic, you become part of the cruise control (sort of a Zen thing:D).

With our diesel Passat, and with any diesel I imagine, cruise is fantastic. The diesel torque just motors you up and down the hills with little gear shifting at all.

PopBeavers
04-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Cruise control can be good, but in my experience, it often is not.

Bill

With a 6 speed transmission and 360 horsepower, I have not had that experience.

I can leave it on cruise control from Sacramento (elevation 200 feet, maybe) up and over Donner Summit (elevation 7085 feet).

Once I tap the brakes going downhill past the summit, it automagically downshifts for me. And it does a pretty good job at choosing the appropriate gear while downshifting.

But, not everyone has a large truck.

rumbleweed
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
A different perspective
A 600 mile trip at 60 mph takes 10 hours you arrive safe and ready to have fun.
the same 600 mile trip at 70 mph could get you there an hour sooner but could also get you there several hours and an expensive repair later. Your decision.:p

Virginia Deacon
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Manufacturer recommendations are a max. towing speed of 65 mph with tires inflated to the max. pressure shown on the side of the tire. Those recommendations are not for everyone else; they are for those of us who have Marathon Tires. Max. pressure is stamped on tire at 50 psi.

If you want to fiddle with the max. pressure and/or max. speed, be prepared to have a tire emergency.

Virginia Deacon
04-16-2011, 07:02 PM
That's what my Owner's Manual says, and it also has a lot of other helpful information about towing, for folks who want to know.

Another reason for not using cruise control when towing 4,000 lbs behind us, is that it takes valuable time in an emergency situation, for the cruise control to disengage; by then, we may end up being part of the accident, instead of an observer. At the very least, it would significantly increase the stopping distance, when going from 88 feet per second (60 mph) to accident-avoidance speed.

ELM-JLM
05-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I found that the tighter I wind my TV the tighter I get wound! :eek: Life is already Speeding By! Enjoy the Eye Candy as You Go!:new_Eyecr

Steppy
05-01-2011, 06:10 PM
FWIW, for those with Maxxis on their TMs

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf