PDA

View Full Version : bath fan

pkwife
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Has anyone had to replace the fan in the bathroom? Our fan stopped working on our last trip before we closed it up for winter. With spring on the way, this is one of the first things we would like to fix.

Bigbit
03-06-2011, 07:29 AM
One suggestion: there is a shut-off switch on the hinge side of the vent cover to make sure that the fan doesn't operate with the vent cover closed. Check to make sure that this switch isn't stuck closed.

Bill
03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the bath fan in a folding TM is different from the one in the Elkmont. In the folding TM, it is a muffin fan located under the tub. I don't recall - and my TM is closed at the moment - whether it is screwed to the floor under the tub, or mounted on the apron (the short wall between the tub and the toilet), where the grate for the fan is mounted.

These fans are quite reliable. The first thing to check is whether or not 12 VDC power is reaching the fan. First, check the 12-volt fuses - the colored plastic ones in the converter compartment. Next check the switch, mounted on the bathroom sink apron. Finally, if you must, squeeze down near the floor in the bathroom, remove the air grate, find the fan, spin the blades by hand to make sure nothing has gotten jammed in it. Then check to make sure that a wire hasn't shaken off, and confirm that power is being applied to the terminals.

You'll need either a voltmeter or a 12-volt test light.

Bill

pkwife
03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks, I will have my husband check those things as soon as we can open it up.

MisterP
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Keeping in mind that I have a 3326, I would assume your outside shower unit is directly outside of your bath plumbing. If you carefully slice through the outside caulk and remove four screws you can pull out the shower unit. In my trailer the bathroom fan is directly behind the shower unit and you can check all wiring connections there. I removed the shower because I had a cracked mixing valve, but there is easy access to the fan as well. I simply trimmed off the old caulk and re-bedded the shower unit when I was done. YMMV.

lederhos
03-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Keeping in mind that I have a 3326, I would assume your outside shower unit is directly outside of your bath plumbing. If you carefully slice through the outside caulk and remove four screws you can pull out the shower unit. In my trailer the bathroom fan is directly behind the shower unit and you can check all wiring connections there. I removed the shower because I had a cracked mixing valve, but there is easy access to the fan as well. I simply trimmed off the old caulk and re-bedded the shower unit when I was done. YMMV.

You can find a picture of what you may see after pulling the outside shower as indicated by MisterP here: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9788

pkwife
05-04-2011, 09:35 PM
thank you for all your help. My husband found that some TP had wound up in the fan. He had to take the outside shower off to reach the fan to clean it,and your pictures were a great help.

lederhos
05-04-2011, 10:55 PM
thank you for all your help. My husband found that some TP had wound up in the fan. He had to take the outside shower off to reach the fan to clean it,and your pictures were a great help.

Glad to hear fan replacement was averted and that the pictures were a help!