PDA

View Full Version : To Elkmont Owners w/conventional toilet

Shandysplace
11-30-2010, 11:28 AM
We use a product called Sewer Solutions to drain our black water tank. It uses a high pressure water jet to totally macerate the black water tank contents w/no mess or odor.

However, we're planning on trying out dry camping for the first time and have purchased one of those black water kits w/hose and accordian. Our question is how do you flush the tank/hose thoroughly after it's drained?

Scott O
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
If you are dry camping and have no external water supply, drain the black tank first and then the gray tank. The gray water will sorta clean the hose. You can do a thorough cleaning job when you are at a dump station with water. Without an external water supply you can't really do a great job cleaning. If you do have an external source of water just fill up your tanks and dump black then gray.

As far as the sewer solution goes, I have one but I only use it when at home as I am 30' or so from a drain. At a dump station I use the 3" accordion hose. My thinking is that there is much more pressure pushing the stuff out of the tank with the larger hose. The Sewer Solution breaks up the solids so they will make it through a 1 1/2" hose. There is basically no pressure.

Bigbit
11-30-2010, 04:57 PM
We don't boondock, so I never have water supply issues. I find that the 15 gal. black holding tank on the Elkmont gives us about 2 days' use. I dump the black tank when full; then at the end of the trip, I fill the blank tank full, then dump, fill it again, and dump again to really clean out the black tank, then dump the grey water tank to "clean" the hose.

Using this method, I have not had any odor issues in the trailer.

brulaz
12-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Every place we've dumped black water after dry camping has had a water hose for cleaning at the dump station, even though they do not have water at the individual trailer sites.

The dump hose may not have a faucet fitting though, so it may not be possible to attach the hose to your device.

We use a something like a FlushKing to back flush the tank when the hose can be attached.

And the two of us can use the black tank for up to 6 days before emptying if we're careful.

Bill
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
You might take a look at a device called a Water Thief to address the problem of no fitting. Google "water thief", or look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_thief

Bill

brulaz
12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
You might take a look at a device called a Water Thief to address the problem of no fitting. Google "water thief", or look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_thief

Bill

That would work at a few sites I've seen. But most sites w/o a hose fitting just seem to have a cut-off hose. Perhaps a hose coupler and the Water Thief would work for these.

One recent site had a plastic ball attached at the end of the hose for some reason. :confused:

Usually if there's no hose coupling, we just flush from the inside a bit and wait until the next campsite (hopefully) before doing a more thorough job.

One of the best things about our "Flush King" knock-off is that it's made of clear plastic, so you can easily tell how clean your black tank drainage is.

And there's no guess work with back flushing the tank: just turn off your inside water pump, open/flush the toilet and point a flashlight down there. It's pretty obvious as it fills up.

Aren't toilets fun? Ours aren't near as exciting as your recirculating one is though.:D

Beach Boy
12-04-2010, 07:09 PM
When I had a motorhome, I had a Tornado built-in into the black tank. It did a great job.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Tornado-Rotary-Tank-Rinser/7964402