PDA

View Full Version : Any creative Elkmont modifications?

Bigbit
09-11-2010, 08:30 AM
My previous TT (a Forest River R-Pod) kept me very busy with mods because frankly, there were several things that I didn't like about the design. I added sewer hose storage, changed the location of the spare tire mount, etc., etc.

I have to say that so far with the Elkmont, I am pretty happy with the layout and function. So far, my mods are pretty minor:

- Added an in-line shower shut-off valve (http://www.plumbsource.net/product/1168/Shower-Arm-Shut-Off-Valve.html) - I still can't believe that Trailmanor didn't supply an easy shut-off on an RV shower head, particularly since they cost $5 and add zero weight.

- Command hooks on the hallway wall across from the fridge and pantry to hang jackets, pants, etc.

- Installed a storage box on the tongue behind the propane tanks. I used a CONTICO SUV Tuff Bin/Utility Box (Lowe's Item #: 207123; cost: $33) and bolted it directly to the frame. There's a picture of the storage box both alone and installed on my rig, below. This works great for storing the towing goodies and keeps these items out of the trailer or TV.

So, what useful mods have you made to your Elkmont?

Regards,

Bigbit

BOB_STRONG
09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Trailmanor has the small storage tube on the TM Mini for the sewer hose. So when we ordered our new Elkmont 26, I asked Keith Hulsey to add the small tube. Since then, I bought at the local RV dealer 2 larger storage tubes, and attached them under the road & curb sides for my 3 sections of sewer hose.

Also, the factory added a mirror to the outside bathroom door just like they have on the regular TrailManor. Looks nice.

In the bathroom, I added a small towel holder to the left of the door when entering. Also, I added a long towel bar over the tub. Alongside the sink, I added a towel ring for a hand towel. Also, I bought a soap dish and attched it to the back wall of the sink area. They have them in the regular trailmanor, why not in the Elkmont? Also, there was no toilet paper holder so I added that also.

At the end of the galley, I attached another ring towel holder just like we had in our old 3326 King.

We bought a hard vinyl cutting board that goes over the stove cover. This gives you a lot more counter space when the stove cover is down.

When we ordered the Elkmont, I asked Keith to add the small entrance handle just as you leave the trailer. This is nice for older people since it gives them something to hold on as they go out the door. Once they get outside on the step, there is the large handle. The large handle on the Elkmont was my suggestion to Keith when they first started to produce the Elkmont 26. They were just using the small handle that I now have on the inside of the unit.

Also, we had a shower track put in the ceiling all around the sky light. This way I added a larger shower curtain to go on it. On the Elkmont, you just get the curtain to go across the front of the tub. I prefer a curtain that goes all around you so you don't get anything wet on the side walls.

Also, I had Keith add the decorative wall board through out the bathroom area, and the kitchen/living room area. The wall board really dresses up the interior walls.

The little popup table in front of the couch was my suggestion to Keith. It's just like the ones in the TrailManors. They took my suggestion. and added the table as standard on all Elkmont 26 units.

Also, the first Elkmont 26 units did not have the overhead cabinets above the side dinette. I asked Keith to add them, and they added them as standard on all Elkmont 26 units.

Also, we liked the linoleum (gray) that was used in the bathroom. We had them use the gray throughout the kitchen/living room area. It really turned out nice. The gray breaks up all of the brown color.

We liked the magazine rack that they have in the regular TrailManors on the outside door so I had the factory put one in the Elkmont, and I attached it to the back of the side dinette as you enter the unit. This was the best place for it without being in the way.

I bought also a hard propane bottle cover for the trailer. It really dresses up the unit instead of looking at those ugly bottles sitting on the front of your trailer.

Also, the steps can get slippery when wet so I bought the rugs that attach to each step.

When we ordered the Elkmont, I didn't like the large orange stripes that they put on the front sides & also on the rear side of the unit. Keith had the same stripes put on but in the gray that matches the other stripes. Having all the stripes gray makes the trailer a lot richer looking.

Also, the last section of the storage cabinet in the bathroom does not have a door on it. I had Keith add another door just like the other ones.

Also, the area above the bed headboard had the regular aluminum wall. I had them fill it in with the decorative wall board. It goes real nice withe the headboard. Also, They added the decorative wall board from the entrance of the bedroom to the windows on both sides. Once again it adds some color to the walls.

So you can see that I have done several changes to the unit. I am sure that down the line, I will being adding somthing else.

countrygirl
09-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Wow! You really had it custom made. Sounds beautiful!

brulaz
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
As it came, our Elkmont 24's feature list and layout was just about perfect.
But we did:
Add lot's of those hooks in the bath and bedroom area.
Added a couple of interior shelves, one in a kitchen above-sink cupboard, one in a bath cupboard.

For boondocking:
Improve the plumbing by adding a 2gal pressure tank and soft hose to the pump.
Improved the furnace air flow.
Replaced a lot of lights with LED's.
Replaced the battery with 2 6V golf-cart types.
All these have been described in other posts in this section.

I've avoided adding anything more to the tongue because we have too much tongue weight as it is for our half-ton pickup.

Bigbit
09-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I've avoided adding anything more to the tongue because we have too much tongue weight as it is for our half-ton pickup.
Brulaz,

I hear you on the tongue weight. When I decided to add the Contico storage box, I took into account the fact that what I store in there gets used for towing in any case, and the storage box is virtually empty when I tow. The box itself weighs about 12 lbs. The only thing in the box while towing is the caster attachment for the tongue jack, the pry bar to load the WDH springs, and a couple of 2"X6" blocks that normally go under the tongue jack when parked. I also keep the front outside-accessible storage area pretty lightly packed: two 25 ft potable water hoses; a fold-up chair; an extension cord; our family camping sign; and the crank handle and tensioning rod for the awning.

We use the under-bed storage as well, but try to keep that packed toward the middle of the trailer.

brulaz
09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Heh, same here. All the heavy stuff in the rear of the trailer. I even reinforced the rear cabinet shelves so cans, books and other heavy stuff can be loaded there. And I'm actually thinking about having a bike rack installed at the rear of the trailer to get some of the weight off the hitch . 620# (420# with WDH) is a bit much. But it does handle very well, with no sway at all, so I'm dithering.